diy solar

diy solar

small nuclear reactor is first to get US safety approval

Most excellent. Heard of them recently. Didn't know they were that close:

Nuke power is going to be critical for rapid, cost effective and smooth transition to renewables/low carbon options. Safest way of producing power at scale and about the same carbon footprint per MWh as PV.

I would like to know what is meant by "small". Two or three acres? A lot more foot print? Maybe 20 acres?

portable powerplant of all kind (included nuclear) exist since a long time.
US Army installed some in Arctic in the 50-60's
possibly it is still there.

even the design is flawed.

1) "The design also uses a passive cooling system, so no pumps or moving parts are required to keep the reactor operating safely. "
Great so no mechanical part that can fail.

2) " In the case of a problem, the reactor is similarly designed to manage its heat automatically. The control rods re actively held in place above the fuel rods by a motor "
Ok, so let's build the only mechanical part that can fail as the safety mechanism.....
So they even managed to put a lie into the description
" so no pumps or moving parts are required to keep the reactor operating safely ... but the safety mechanism rely on a motor...."

hilarious ......

Last edited:
20 km radius when it explodes

New designs are essentially explosion proof and melt-down proof. The two major nuclear disasters had essentially zero risk of explosion, and they didn't.

What will be done with the spent full..?

No nuclear reactor on the planet has ever produced more nuclear waste than it can store on site. New designs focus on "rejuvinating" spent or partially spent fuel into fissionable materials to further reduce nuclear waste.

even the design is flawed.

1) "The design also uses a passive cooling system, so no pumps or moving parts are required to keep the reactor operating safely. "
Great so no mechanical par that can fail.

2) " In the case of a problem, the reactor is similarly designed to manage its heat automatically. The control rods re actively held in place above the fuel rods by a motor "
Ok, so let's build the only mechanical part that can fail as the safety mechanism.....

hilarious ......

Wow. Really? Do you really not understand what that is saying? It's saying the system is designed such that IF the mechanical system fails the rods drop into the core and halt the reaction.

" the rods drop into the core and halt the reaction. "
yes , magically... like all nuclear reactor that have blown up up to now.

i do not know what you call an explosion, but when fukushima radioactive trace are reaching up to San Francisco...
or when radioactivity form Techrnobyl reach Paris 2000km far away...
1599069286189.png
1599069187114.png

" the rods drop into the core and halt the reaction. "
yes , magically... like all nuclear reactor that have blown up up to now.

i do not know what you call an explosion, but when fukushima radioactive trace are reaching up to San Francisco...
or when radioactivity form Techrnobyl reach Paris 2000km far away...
View attachment 21697
View attachment 21696

Gravity isn't magic.

Not a single nuclear reactor has blown up. None of them ever could as they lack critical mass for a runaway fission reaction. Those are core meltdowns and release of contamination. Modern reactor designs eliminate either of these events occurring again.

Do some research on the number of lives lost annually due to coal production and burning. I'll help get you started:

How about using those old coal mines for pumped hydro like they are doing in Germany? Allocate some of the revenue to clean up the slag piles that are killing the local rivers when they collapse.

the problem is harvesting energy in any form or method is destructive.
should you cut trees, dig earth, cover desert with solar panels, you will change the nature the way it work.
Since energy is a business, it usually care only on making money efficiently.
this does not allow to take care of the eventual consequence of the activity that will cost money soon or later.
this mind is changing slowly, but this is no sufficient.
As long as the choice is doing it right or getting more money.

we build datacenter (google, facebook) in cold countries (Sweden) because there is a lot of money to spare if you get natural cooling.
Microsoft goes even deeper by immerging container with hundreds of server directly into the see.
These containers are closed for ever, with redundancy so in case of problem you can still go.
At the end when there is too much failure, the container is supposed to be disposed.
All that to grab the last cents.
So you can imagine with this state of mind, when there will be money to spend to get the container out of sea,
There will always be a guy who will say that it is cheaper to leave it where it is.

Got it. Earth is better off without us, and since we can't force a mass suicide, we should go back to living like cavemen with negligible impact on the environment. Let a bunch of people die off and then have a life expectancy in the 50s. Gotcha.

Uh Oh!! There's a very low frequency droning within the Bezos prime powered left cerebral lobe as the right hemisphere sees visions of making the concept pretty......? o_O ?
He may have to ask the ex for a loan. LOL

Holy shit... The headline caused an immediate dismissive reaction. After reading the article, I am thinking "holy shit, this actually sounds viable"...

Then of course, I think of the unwashed ignorant masses, who will reject it simply on the basis that it deals with nuclear waste even if it is perfectly viable and safe.

I am drowning in the sorrow of my own tears.

I bet if Elon believes it's viable, you'll see the gigafactory retrofitted. He'll want to manufacture his own and pay royalties rather than buy from NDB, and NDB would run out of money before they could supply Tesla.

Cars that recharge themselves... and while they drive...

I've never heard of Beta decay as a usable electron source, even Nuclear thermoelectric generators use a thermocouple to produce electricity from the heat. I see the biggest problem as being what you do with it when you're NOT using it... it's going to continue to produce electrons. You'll have to have some kind of storage or a built in resistor/heatsink to consume the continual power.

Back