diy solar

diy solar

Small Size High Quality Combiner Box Options

myrkr

Hello, I'm working on my solar system and had a different thread going with some other questions. Here is the link for reference https://diysolarforum.com/threads/new-van-system-planning-help.13073

My question for this thread has to specifically do with looking for suggestions for a high quality (or maybe even medium quality) combiner box that is on the smaller side. This is going inside of a van so space is very tight and I'm hoping for something on the order of 7"x"6"x4" or smaller. I have 3 panels on the van in parallel and need to fuse each panel and then would like a breaker/disconnect. I'm trying to limit the MC4 connections since it seems like from reading different threads the quality is very inconsistent and only Staubli are high quality. So I was gonna do a single MC4 connection at the panels themselves and run that inside the van and then bring them into a combiner box. The only small combiner box I've found so far of any name brand is this Ecoworthy one https://www.eco-worthy.com/collecti...circuit-breakers-for-on-off-grid-solar-system

From reading other threads it seems like Ecoworthy is kind of at the lowest end quality wise, only being above all the generic cheapo versions all over Amazon. So I'm a bit hesitant to use it and would prefer to find a slightly higher quality one of similar dimensions. I looked at Midnight Solar, Watts247, Renogy, and didn't find anything as small. Does anyone have any other suggestions or brands they'd recommend I look further into?

Thanks

was gonna do a single MC4 connection at the panels themselves and run that inside the van and then bring them into a combiner box
How many panels can you possibly fit on a van? How many watts is your goal?

Personally I’d crimp and waterproof the series or parallel connections on the roof and bring just 2 wires through a bulkhead fitting (aka gland though admittedly they’re technically different in fact)

You can get plastic project boxes in various sizes, and both steel and aluminum DIN rail is available online; so buy the ‘bigger one’ and steal its guts out or buy the components to stuff at will into a project box is my suggestion.

How many panels can you possibly fit on a van? How many watts is your goal?

Personally I’d crimp and waterproof the series or parallel connections on the roof and bring just 2 wires through a bulkhead fitting (aka gland though admittedly they’re technically different in fact)

You can get plastic project boxes in various sizes, and both steel and aluminum DIN rail is available online; so buy the ‘bigger one’ and steal its guts out or buy the components to stuff at will into a project box is my suggestion.

Running 3 Panasonic panels in parallel to make them work with my 100|50 Victron MPPT (3x 325W). I had considered cutting off the factory MC4 connectors and crimping the connections, but thought if I left that as the only MC4 connection it would make removing a panel easier if I need to at some point.

Good thought on buying the box and DIN rail separately or stealing the guts from one and sticking it in a box that fits my needs better. Thanks for the suggestions.

stealing the guts from one and sticking it in a box that fits my needs better. Thanks for the suggestions.
No problem. Just be careful. And smart. Poor connections cause fires. And I regularly buy stuff and take it apart to “improve it” but not everyone’s skillsets can do that successfully. Sounds like you have the skills. Just be smart, don’t use poor hardware store crimps, and don’t cheap-out on wire.

Back