diy solar

diy solar

Mc4 connections to combiner box questions

Wv lew

Newbie here. Probably a dumb question, but here goes……Wanting to know how to connect mc4 to a combiner box terminal. Is there a coupling to do this or do you just cut the mc4 and splice? I’m wanting to Use 10awg wire to go from the combiner box to the all In one connections, so how do I connect the mc4 to the terminations inside thst box??

Wanting to know how to connect mc4 to a combiner box terminal. Is there a coupling to do this or do you just cut the mc4 and splice?
Your panel likely has a MC4 connectors. Does your combiner box have MC4 input? It sounds like it accepts a bare wire. So somewhere between solar panel and combiner box, you need wires with MC4 on one end and a stripped wire on the other end.

Your panel likely has a MC4 connectors. Does your combiner box have MC4 input? It sounds like it accepts a bare wire. So somewhere between solar panel and combiner box, you need wires with MC4 on one end and a stripped wire on the other end.
My all
In one is an eg4 6000ex. I pick it Up
Tomorrow it’s at a shipping place waiting on me, so I Am Not Sure what it has. I haven’t bought a combiner box yet. Looking at the one will prowse likes, it has fuses breaker and surge protection. Expensive though., but I’d like to run just some then 10 awg wire to the combiner box and the inverter. I just need to know how to get the mc4 from the panels into the combiner box, without cuttting wires.

Expensive though., but I’d like to run just some then 10 awg wire to the combiner box and the inverter. I just need to know how to get the mc4 from the panels into the combiner box, without cuttting wires.
You really only need a combiner box when connecting a 3 or more strings in parallel and the combined amperage exceeds 30A (what most connectors are rated at).

Otherwise if just a simple 2 wire array, a cutoff switch is all you need (for convenience you will think it necessary). A breaker works too and adds a smidge of protection.

A combiner box can have surge (lightning) protection and the main breaker serves as a cutoff switch).

Well to be specific I have6 panels in series, and another 6 panels in series and I’m wanting to combine them in parallel. Then take this combination into the inverter. I have a disconnect and a fuse with fuse holder but I was thinking if I ever want to add on you know? But maybe not necessary right now.

Anyway if I don’t use a combiner box how can I go from the mc4 connectors on the solar panels to the burial cable? Is there some sort of adapter you can buy to combine it ?

Well to be specific I have6 panels in series, and another 6 panels in series and I’m wanting to combine them in parallel.

Why? What are the specs for the panels? The EG4 6000EX has a 500VOC rating. If panel VOC is 36V. then 12 x 36=432VOC which the unit is rated for.
Then take this combination into the inverter. I have a disconnect and a fuse with fuse holder but I was thinking if I ever want to add on you know? But maybe not necessary right now.

Anyway if I don’t use a combiner box how can I go from the mc4 connectors on the solar panels to the burial cable? Is there some sort of adapter you can buy to combine it ?
I would suggest a disconnect such as the IMO at the panels and another right before the inverter PV input.

Why? What are the specs for the panels? The EG4 6000EX has a 500VOC rating. If panel VOC is 36V. then 12 x 36=432VOC which the unit is rated for.

I would suggest a disconnect such as the IMO at the panels and another right before the inverter PV input.
12 panels and each one has Voc of 44.4 volts. I think that takes me to 532 volts. I was trying to utilize all the wattage available to me

Newbie here. Probably a dumb question, but here goes……Wanting to know how to connect mc4 to a combiner box terminal. Is there a coupling to do this or do you just cut the mc4 and splice? I’m wanting to Use 10awg wire to go from the combiner box to the all In one connections, so how do I connect the mc4 to the terminations inside thst box??
Ok I got the imo disconnect and a couple sun rail breakers. I think I will use the breakers for outside disconnect and the imo for the inside disconnect. Question; what’s a good weather proof box to put the din rail and breakers in outside at my solar panels?

Wouldn't your 6s2p at 44.4V Voc give you (6x44.4V=266.4V)? You'd still have your 12xWatts per panel though.

ETA: I see...someone suggested running them all in series..

Wouldn't your 6s2p at 44.4V Voc give you (6x44.4V=266.4V)? You'd still have your 12xWatts per panel though.

ETA: I see...someone suggested running them all in series..
Yes. I have decided to 6s2p, that will give me voltage low enough I can use without reaching my limit of my eg4 6000ex, I hav to use an extra fuse but that’s not a problem. I think that will be the best. I just need an outside weather proof box for the fuses, any suggestions? I have the fuses and din rail.

I hav to use an extra fuse but that’s not a problem.
As i said in post #4, you only need a combiner box (and fuses) if combining 3P or more. The combiner box offers a cutoff switch with the main breaker and possibly surge protectors. But 2P as you stated does not really need to be fused.

As i said in post #4, you only need a combiner box (and fuses) if combining 3P or more. The combiner box offers a cutoff switch with the main breaker and possibly surge protectors. But 2P as you stated does not really need to be fused.
I understand. Thanks. I wonder why it’s not needed. If the panel shorted I’d think it would need some protections.

You referred to Will's recommendation for combiner boxes, so I'll make an assumption you maybe got one of the Watts247 boxes. I got the same brand (haven't installed it either yet). It has strain relief connectors ('glands') on the bottom for your bare wires to pass through and tighten around. If the wires you have already have MC4 connectors installed you'll have to cut them off of both ends, since the 6000EX also requires bare wires as well. (Actually, you'd have to cut them off at the inverter/charger end anyway in order to place a solar safety disconnect before the inverter/charger).

I also believe that one advantage of the combiner box is that it keeps any string of your multiple parallel strings from 'dragging down' your other strings if it should become seriously shaded/blocked. The MPPT controller theoretically adjusts up/down to optimize/maximize the combined output of the parallel strings, but it can only adjust so far to accommodate the shaded string.

Back