diy solar

diy solar

Smallest setup that will charge 48 volt batteries

millsan1

Solar Enthusiast
Short:
What is the smallest solar setup I can build to charge 48 volt Lithium batteries?

Longer:
I have a cool side by side that is electric.

I upgraded the batteries in it to 48 volt Lithium, each battery is 48 volts, as opposed to the 8 6 volt golf cart setup it came with.

Super happy.

Now I am thinking it would be fun to put some kind of solar charger on it. I understand that the setup would NEVER replace the energy the cart uses, nor do I expect it to charge the cart on a regular basis.

I just think it would be fun, and when out an about, if I pick up some juice, instead of just sitting there, bonus.

This being a side by side, I have limited space, and I don't want to lose the dump bed.

So what is the smallest setup I can build and still get some juice into the batteries? I am thinking 4 100 watt panels to get the voltage, but are there tiny inverters or solar chargers that can push the juice in to the 48 volt batteries?

Mppts are small. But you're asking the wrong question. You need something waterproof. My SxSs are covered with mud from riding and needs tons of pressure washing to get just a bit off.

Mppts are small. But you're asking the wrong question. You need something waterproof. My SxSs are covered with mud from riding and needs tons of pressure washing to get just a bit off.
Mine is a hunting/workign around the property deal. No mudding for me.

The victron 100/20 48v probably needs array voltage higher than battery voltage right?

So then the challenge here would be finding 2 panels that would make over 55v Vmpp in series that could fit on the sxs.
Yes Victron SCCs need at least 5v more than battery level to start charging.

4 24v 100w panels should be around 100v, well above 63v. I have the renogy 100w and had to switch from 6 to 5 in series in winter because it was pushing 150v. But they do make boost MPPT controllers that'll allow lower voltage

4 24v 100w panels should be around 100v, well above 63v. I have the renogy 100w and had to switch from 6 to 5 in series in winter because it was pushing 150v. But they do make boost MPPT controllers that'll allow lower voltage
What size are those panels? I could get away with 3, I think, as far as voltage goes.

The Victron 100/20 would be a good option. You can also use Victron's tool to check if your Voc and Vmp are going to stay in usable ranges at the temperatures you want to use them. You can't exceed Voc in the coldest case, and you also want to make sure you have high enough Vmp for your warmest case. With your 48V system and limited space, this is a bit of a narrow band.

Working on something similar for my 48V project.

In my case, I'll use 4x100W solar panels in series(81V Voc) with Victron 100/20 SCC.

It's mostly because I already have these components but also because I'm looking into having the whole system as portable as possible. As far as the size goes, the array will match a single 400W solar panel footprint.

That being said, a higher array Voc and a bigger SCC would be better overall.

Back