diy solar

diy solar

Smallest setup that will charge 48 volt batteries

I have a couple of the 100/20 MPPTs and think they are the best Victron bargain available.

Two of these panels in series should work well :

With a boost mppt you could have one or two 12v panel charging a 48v battery.

I found this on Amazon- no idea if/how well it works.

Good Luck!
I'm not sure I'd trust that thing... From the Amazon description:

1707942160327.png

No information on what exactly it is, but it's not one of those. I presume it is made from 'materials', but maybe not 'directly'?

I am going down teh rabbit hole on this one.

Boost controller it is. Fine.

Was ready to pull trigger, when I found this eco-worthy boost controller
Boost controller

It is small, cheap and good (it seems).

Challenge is, it only works with 12 or 24 v panels. Crap.

But eco-worthy makes a flexible, 130 watt 12 v panel.
130 watt panel

So my choice is to use the Amazon boost controller, along with one of my spare panels, and have to manu-fabricate mounting, move my flood lights, etc.

OR

Go with the eco-worthy solution, I believe I can mount 3 or 4 of those panels, in parallel on my SXS, and leave all my existing accessories alone. If I go this way, it would be 2 or 3 on the roof, and one or two on the side, or back windshield or whatever. Hence doing it parallel, so the different shading, etc should have minimal effect.

Well, went with eco-worthy controller And 2 flexible panels. Using the 20% off coupon, ended up well under $300.

By my calculations, in a good day, this will give me 3-5 extra miles, or charge cart from empty to full in 10 days, lol. Not that I ever drain battery all the way down.

While I was at it, I picked up the 25 watt battery maintainer setup for $40 to keep the 12 volt battery on the sxs charged up as well.

Back