diy solar

diy solar

So What batteries do I need?

Because there have been too many forum members that have been scammed buying on Ali Express. Alibaba seems to be less likely to be a scam.

If this was my project I would be looking at 280 Ah LiFePO4 cells (12 of them) and a contactor BMS. Most of the FET based BMS won't support the high amp output that you're needing.
Thanks for the input. You seem like a man after my own heart-- I love to overengineer everything. If one will do, I prefer 3. But one guy put in 230Ah LIFEPO4 batteries and got 100 mile range and 35mph max. I think a fraction of that would be fine for me.
BTW, Dakota is selling two options they recommend for golf carts. A 96AH 48V system and a 60AH 12V (to use 3 of them). Seems like I'm in the ballpark with eye on 100AH system....

Thanks for the input. You seem like a man after my own heart-- I love to overengineer everything. If one will do, I prefer 3. But one guy put in 230Ah LIFEPO4 batteries and got 100 mile range and 35mph max. I think a fraction of that would be fine for me.
BTW, Dakota is selling two options they recommend for golf carts. A 96AH 48V system and a 60AH 12V (to use 3 of them). Seems like I'm in the ballpark with eye on 100AH system....

Well, don't assume too much. I created my own 280 Ah batteries, so it's what I know. They seem to work well and are fairly common. Space requirements are more likely to dictate what Ah you go with.

I would be reluctant to put three 12 volt batteries in series. My preference would be to create a single 36 volt battery out of 12 cells.

The Dakota 60 Ah 12v battery isn't your typical LiFePO4 battery.
"100 A max continuous discharge, 750A max 2 second pulse, 650A max 5 sec pulse."
If your load can always be satisfied within those specs, it should work. It says you can put four in series, but I still don't like 12 volt batteries in series. It's too bad their 36 volt battery doesn't have higher specs.

Because there have been too many forum members that have been scammed buying on Ali Express. Alibaba seems to be less likely to be a scam.

If this was my project I would be looking at 280 Ah LiFePO4 cells (12 of them) and a contactor BMS. Most of the FET based BMS won't support the high amp output that you're needing.
Alibaba is designed to ship to businesses, not individuals. They have decent prices, but shipping is a PITA.

for what it's worth, the navitas/topband 25Ah 3C continuous rated cells, i have personally sourced a few dozen from batteryhookup. the shipping took about a week to west coast usa. they are apparently pulled from EVs. i'm still in the process of assembling them into projects. still figuring out busbar situation.

another person here apparently used them to convert a child gokart to lifepo4 from lead acid, and it worked well.

as a side note, some of the large 280Ah cells are rated for 0.5C continuous discharge, but 1C bursts to go up hills might be fine.

with 300A for hill climbs, a contactor definitely is the way to go imho. as others have mentioned ??

Alibaba is designed to ship to businesses, not individuals. They have decent prices, but shipping is a PITA.

My cells came through an Alibaba reseller. Shipping was about 45 days (typical) and I didn't have to do anything special other than ensure that it was DDP.

My cells came through an Alibaba reseller. Shipping was about 45 days (typical) and I didn't have to do anything special other than ensure that it was DDP.
Which reseller, if you don't mind me asking? And did you find them on the alibaba site or elsewhere? Sounds like you have this stuff figured out.

Back