diy solar

diy solar

Soft Start "Learning Process"

derik

I just purchased a soft start 72 Blue and was going to install it. I then saw I had to run it off of AC power for it to learn the start up for my AC unit. I am off grid and my 45 Amp Generator will not run my AC that's why I bought the Soft Start in the first place.

Should I return it an try a "hard start" system? My Generator is brand new and dedicated to my 4 ton AC unit. My ac unit only uses 17 amps to run but probably closer to 50 or a little more to start. When I tried it it's done a few things all indicating not enough amps. 1. Started and ran one cycle. 2. Generator died as soon as ac started or 3. Ran the fan but not the compressor.

The soft start will get better at reducing the load over time, but will help on the initial install as well. Hook her up and give it a go.

What model generator do you have? What model HVAC condenser do you have? A 4 ton AC should have an LRA much higher than 50A if it is a single stage unit.

Maybe call MicroAir and ask them about your issue.
Maybe rent a larger generator for the day.

When I did my 5 starts I just used my inverter- it would start the Air Conditioner but it gave me low battery warning and ripple warning- the first start it used 27.9amps on a 3000w inverter (no wonder the inverter was yelling at me) - when done it now uses 16.5amps and both the inverter and air conditioner run just fine.

Good Luck

If you don't have access to shore power for the 5 learning starts, just let it learn from the generator for now and trigger a relearn when you have shore power.

Back