diy solar

diy solar

SOK 12v 100ah smartshunt settings

e67

The smartshunt default charged voltage is 13.2. The Current Connected site says on an SOK 12v 100ah it should be 13.8v. Does this sound right to you?

If charging from solar set the smart shunt 'charged voltage' to 0.2 voltage lower than the absorption voltage setting on the charger.

The rested fully charged battery with no load or charge condition will show a voltage around 13.4 volts.

my KID controller has absorb and float only. The bulk/absorb is 14.5v for 3 minutes. Then float at 13.6v. You think I should set the SS
at 14.3...????? sounds funny...the booklet that came with the SS says 13.2.....is this the kind of info you get when you buy a 140$ shunt?
Cause I wish I had not bought it..

The smart shunt default settings are for lead acid battery charger by an AC charger that is performing a full absorbtion and float charging cycle over many hours.
Where the charge is via solar, the 'charged voltage' setting in the smart shunt is set slightly lower than the absorbtion voltage charger that is reached by thecharger. Charge efficiency and Peukert constant also need changing for lithium batteries. Charge efficiency 99% , Peukert 1.05, tail current 4%, time to go 3 minutes

Bulk /absorbtion at 14.5 may be too high for the SOK and cause BMS protection due to cell overvolts. Often charging at a lower voltage is useful to avoid this.

The 13.8 voltage value you have been recomended is OK, as once the battery exceeds this voltage under charge its at a high state of charge.

The smart shunt syncs to 100% when:
The batteryvoltage exceeds the 'charged voltage' and
The current has fallen below the tail current value and
Both the above conditions have existed for the time to go.

Mike

SOK says 14.6. I will do 14.4 and set the SS at 14 even.Its solar only.

I woke up to a bone dead battery. The BMS apparently shut down. It has been getting plenty of solar and the smarthsunt did not indicate a problem. There is either a defect or I was always at a very low amps state and the battery never really got maxed out to start its life properly 5 weeks ago..
I got it charging again with my bench ps and removed any loads on it. Before I think there is a defect I want to get a full max charge on it and see if it mis behaves again. My 30 bench ps can only do about 8 amps at 14.8v.That should force a balance on it, no? I don't have any other LiFePo charger. If I use the bench ps about how long can I keep it hooked up to ensure its totally maxed up full.??I don't need the battery for living ,I have grid power.Current Connected has a video dealing with similar complaints on the SOK 12vs and I watched it.
What do you know about this?

If the shunt is connected and set up correctly it should report the battery state, even if not set up with ideal perameters it will report current and voltage.
Without an idea of solar panel wattage, location and battery load , its not possible to assist as to why the battery discharged to cutoff.
It's probable there was Insufficient solar to keep up with the load.

14.8 volts is too high, 14.4 or less. Charge at 8 amps until the battery voltage ( measured at the battery terminals ) exceeds 14.0 volts, consider it full at this point.

As I pointed out its possible the cells are not balanced and the BMS will disable the charge path before the charger reaches the set point.
If this occurs , indicated by a sudden drop of charge current to zero, lower the charge voltage.

If the battery was discharged to low volts cutoff, a charge at 8 amps will take over 12 hours .

Luckily Google helped to find the video I think you refer to. This is for a dead battery that has been too long in storage ( and should never have been shipped to a customer), dropping the cell voltage to a stupid low value. I don't think you have this situation and the bench charger you have will charge with no problems.

Mike

Last edited:
I was going to post a question in the testing sub forum but I will do it here.. the bench ps I got was a Longwei K3010 or 305D model..I don't know anything about them but got one...They have CV or CC and a light goes on to tell you which its on. Its not easy to figure out. I can set a CV with the clips off the battery but when I put the clips on the display shows the battery voltage...so is it indeed charging to the set voltage?? If I play with either knob it drops the voltage or changes the current...The only sense I could make of it was to max out the CC at 10.5 and that seemed to slowly push up the voltage into the 14s which I wanted. If I lower the amps will it indeed push the voltage up eventually? It doesn't help you understand what is going on..Another total waste of money..along with the Smartshunt which flat out sucks as far as I can see. Mine is way off and useless so far. Victron needs to re code it from scratch.I will disconnect it from the neg post and see if that resets it properly.
As far as charging I was wondering if my 15 year old KID controller just isn't up to charging LiFePo....Current Connected seems to feel that the Victron controllers are better for LiFePo...have you heard of any issues with the KID units??Right now I have the PS disconnected for the night in case of some bizarre explosion at 3 in the morning. I will resume the push to 14.5v tomorrow and try to hold it there for a couple hours.
As it sits there can I expect to see the ingoing amps decrease a lot on the PS or does it have no regulation that way..?

Last edited:
Back