diy solar

diy solar

Best budget friendly 48v 100ah

benneufeld

hello newbie here..

i’m looking to purchase a 48v 100ah server rack. i live in a 94 bounder with electric/gas hot water tank with washing machine and a growatt 3000 split phase done a little research on batteries that work well. just curious if anyone knows the best server rack that gives best bang for your buck in an off grid living situation.

i’m kinda hoping to get an SOK battery but would like to not pay more than 2000$ CAD.
as i like that the SOK is serviceable. if anyone knows any batteries that have similar qualities to the SOK i’d really
like it to be serviceable and have close circuit communication with growatt 3000 thx. like the RUXIO or AHlithium or EG4 please advise. i’m trying to look on different sites for the best sale/deal. but everything seems quite expensive. please give any advice on your recommendations thanks again!

i also heard somewhere that 1 48v 100ah server rack battery can run a splitphase inverter for 1 day then it needs recharging given only using appliances in a normal fashion would like to know if that is true. and if i should buy two server rack bats. thanks

Last edited:
you need to calculate your power usage to determine whether this setup is sufficient. "Using appliances in a normal fashion" is simply not precise enough my friend.

48v 100ah gives you, well, at most 4800 Wh. Not much to run an electric dryer or water heater but would run a small fridge (lets assume 150W) for 4800 / 150 = XXX hrs. This is assuming the fridge runs constantly, which is usually not the case.

There is a small device called Killawatt that may help you get started if you are unable to make your own estimates.

okay i will definetly get that

my calculations say i will use about 1500-2000w per day. about half on 120v and half on 12v if i have a hybrid growatt inverter spf 3000 with split phase technology. and a 48v server rack battery bank. is that the most efficient process to run 12v appliances and some 120v appliances?

I had a brief call with a battle born rep
today and he said if i get anything smaller than a 48v 100ah bat bank. i’m gonna be tripping the system constantly when i want to run something.

i was hoping to have a 48v battery bank. as i live in vancouver BC where it’s always raining. so if i run 12v appliances the draw be will really really light and converting down to 12v will be really efficient.

or if using 12v appliances, and the occasional 120v water heater. will constantly trip system and drain my battery even with my growatt spf 3000 split phase am i better off just running a generator when i need 120v?

follow up on the previous paragraph..

does anyone know if there’s a huge difference in efficiency from the 48v server racks with high tech bms, and 2sets of 24v lithium batteries at 100ah each? its really hard to find space to put a 48v server rack battery that’s close to the inverter.

thanks again!

ben N

if there’s a huge difference in efficiency from the 48v server racks with high tech bms, and 2sets of 24v lithium batteries at 100ah each? its really hard to find space to put a 48v server rack battery that’s close to the inverter.

Efficiency, as in wasted or "overhead" energy? No. The BMS does not control or affect the efficiency in operation. It is a "gate" that's either open or closed. There is no throttling or restrictions that could be either more or less efficient. For the same brand of batteries with the same cells, two at 24V is identical to one at 48V.

However, you would need to ensure that the BMS in the 24V battery is rated to be used in series for a 48V circuit. Some are not rated for putting more than one battery in series; others are. Varies by brand and model.

Ready made Rack battery tend not to be serviceable. You can build one for about $1,000. Then it would be easily serviceable, and you could fit the cells into the area you have.

Back