diy solar

diy solar

First build this summer, Canada, VW T4 lwb, 48V 100Ah or 1x 48V 50Ah now and add another later too be smoother with my budget build?

On that same website you can see they have just the J1772 F - the part that would be on a car - this leaves the conductors on the interior side up to you to wire, and provides a recepticle that will fit the EV charging station. Looks like they have free shipping to addresses in Canada.

On that same website you can see they have just the J1772 F - the part that would be on a car
You are right. I would suggest JohnD0h to buy the J1772 to Nema 14-50 adapter with the 8 awg cables.

From the website, there is already the J1772 controller inside the adapter: ''This adapter works by using a specially designed circuit inside the plug that basically tricks the charging station into thinking a vehicle is connected and ready to charge''.

I've done a J1772 controller with 3 resistors and a switch in the past and that work, but only on most charging station. On few charging station my setup didn't work. It's really frustrating when that happen and you are far from any other charging station.
I hope their ''specially designed circuit'' work with all charging station.

Now the tough part will be to find a ''good'' 400$ charger for his battery (24V or 48V?)

IMG_1172.jpeg

- Build Budget
- EV Charging
- Starting with 1 2400Wh 48vdc battery & adding another later

As I read into the Title, I considered “The Budget” was important.

It is a VW T-4 ,,, Not a Tiffin

@JohnD0h ,,, Does Your Budget really matter ?

Van building is just a long series of compromises.

IMHO, you're better off with 12vdc or 24vdc.

Budget build...
A 120$ J1772 adapter + a 150$ charger (Mean well RSP-500). It seem like a low budget solution to me.
But the RSP-500 is an open frame fan cooled power supply who can only output around 700W, so I don't consider it as a ''good'' charger.
It will work, on 120V and 240V, but a 2.5 kWh battery will need up to 4 hours to charge, so what about the 5-6 kWh Johnd0h expect to have 🫤

Budget build...
A 120$ J1772 adapter + a 150$ charger (Mean well RSP-500). It seem like a low budget solution to me.
But the RSP-500 is an open frame fan cooled power supply who can only output around 700W, so I don't consider it as a ''good'' charger.
It will work, on 120V and 240V, but a 2.5 kWh battery will need up to 4 hours to charge, so what about the 5-6 kWh Johnd0h expect to have 🫤

With low resolution design & budget, “we” are assuming lots here. I have worked 4 decades in the construction industry with budgets & design, & the way to start this process is by identifying the needs & them preparing a rough budget to see if it is economically feasible.

I see so many DIYers, just start buying things even without a design let alone a budget. Without needs being identified, design being researched & performed, & a rough budget being calculated @JohnD0h is proceeding in the dark.

He is starting out with a 2.4 kWh battery ,,, $270 ( adapter & charger ), might be nothing for you & I along with the additional cost items that will be required to make it work, but might be an expense better spent elsewhere ,,, depending upon needs, design, & budget.

Intended use ,,, Fantasy & Reality are 2 separate things. What the heck does that mean 🤷‍♂️? OP might have the idea of fantasy of rollin up on an EV Charge Station with his ICE T-4 & charging up in 15mins. Where in reality ,,, due to “The Power @ Hand”; be turned away, or limited plug in time, or charged by the minute, or whatever else we can’t fathom our Governments or Power Providers or other entities will dictate to us. Fantasy vs Reality

🤔 ,,, RV8R ,,, You paranoid freak !! ,,, Well here ya go ,,, Fantasy relies upon reality & the control of others not infiltrating the Fantasy;

IMG_1173.jpeg

Depending upon the area you might have your fantasy play out & what changes the authorities are making, might throw a wrench into the mix.

ICE vehicles rollin up @ EV charge stations 😁 ,,, How long do you think “they” will allow that.

That is all I am trying to convey ,,, that & a reconsideration on 12vdc or 24vdc.

Last edited:
Budget build...
Thanks again with your big help that make me learn!
In the description of the J1772 adapter at the bottom, You can read this:
"Note, this adapter is not suitable for RV use due to the absence of a neutral connection on the J1772 - it's intended only for appliances that don't require neutral."
I don't know how to interpret that, since my electrical knowledge is my main weakness!

When I write budget build, I mean that I won't buy a 2000$ toilet or fridge. I'll will always looking for something that will be good and well build, but at the best price that I can found and that meets my needs, nothing superfluous.
I'll be a proud owner of a bucket toilet! 🤘

"Note, this adapter is not suitable for RV use due to the absence of a neutral connection on the J1772 - it's intended only for appliances that don't require neutral."
I don't know how to interpret that, since my electrical knowledge is my main weakness!
Yeah, it's not a problem as J1772 also only have 3 conductors (120V + 120V + ground at 240V or 120V + Neutral + ground at 120V).
The 4 conductors in the Nema 14-50 plug is to have 120V + 120V + Neutral + Ground, but your charger should not need this.

I intentionally remove the 2 communication conductors for clarity (5 pins in the J1772 connector as there is proxy and pilot pins).

Back