diy solar

diy solar

First build this summer, Canada, VW T4 lwb, 48V 100Ah or 1x 48V 50Ah now and add another later too be smoother with my budget build?

Hi everyone and thanks again for your help!

You make me redo my homework.
The first year, I’ll have access to the AC from where I’ll do my build so I only need DC for led, diesel heater, water pump some computer fans… if I don’t miss anything and for that I can go with a Li Time 12V or 12.8V 100Ah and a fuse box and keep the cost around CAD 500$.
And in a year I'll build a second system separate from this.
So I have one more year for planning my electrical system!

My van will be isolate and heat all the winter with a diesel heater.
Cooking and fridge will be on propane.
I don't want anything else than LiFePO4 Lithium Battery.

I know that my need will be around 2KWh/day and I want around 5KWh to 6KWh in battery.
So my second system will need to have 4KWh to 5KWh.
I keep the door open to go 12V, 24V, 48V!

***The goal of my post is to learn what do I need in my system to:***

What do I need to charge with an EV public charger (7.2kW)?
What do I need to charge with a car alternator?
What do I need to plug in a camping site?
What do I need to plug in a 120V AC house?

I have see on YouTube some people who have use the EV public station to charge the battery in their VR and that was working.
The best info I have found is from this video and it's look like it's working well with his 24V 300Ah battery:

From what I understand so far is that the terminal has a voltage of 240V, a useful power of 7.2KW with a J1772 connector.
With a 240V to 12V/24V charger, a J1772 to NEMA adapter, it is possible to charge 12V and 24V batteries.
I'm here to learn more details about how and with what I'll able to do it and have more user feedback.
It'a 4 minutes video, please take the time to watch it before answering something about EV charger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have a question for my fellow Canadians who have solar panels installed horizontally on the roof of their vehicle!

I want to know how much cost effective it’s and what performance it give you during summer and winter in Canada?

If I choose to add solar to my build, it’ll probably be a commercial panel between 400W to 550W and 60 or 66 cells from what I know about solar for now.

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your reply, nothing again nobody, but come on guys, try to keep my post clean as possible, and it probably already have a lot of post where you can talk about the rest that I'm not here to learn!

Look at the first post in page 2 to see what I'm looking for now! Thanks!

(y)

Pat

Hi @JohnD0h

So This post will be long.

First, I am going to give you more grace than I generally do on forums, as I understand english is not your first language & that can be difficult & things can be lost in translation. I would be lost if I had to communicate in Francais. Un peu de francais, but not much.

So where to Start ,,, EV Charging ,,, I have not done it, so not much help here, but I do have a few comments about the videos you posted;

IMG_1099.jpeg

Sprinter Guy Video; This can be an issue on YouTube. IMO, I do not think many DIYers would catch this & tge risk is possibly low ,,, but ,,, if you do not know what this DIYer did here, he compromised the oneway “exhaust only” of the driver’s side rear interior air relief vent. Sticking a cord thru that device can create an inlet for tailpipe exhaust fumes & especially if the rooftop fan is exhausting interior air. Possible yes, unsafe maybe, probable 🤷‍♂️.

Careful who you “follow” out there.

This is not impressive charge rates for me for EV charging;

IMG_1100.jpeg

Next Up ,,, Single Handedly Saving the World with his Diesel Guy;

IMG_1101.jpeg

Ok, I lasted to 4:31. Maybe I bailed early, but the 1/4 of the video I watched was just ego back-patting & verbal diarrhea about how great he is being charging up his diesel van with EV chargers sometimes for free. Sorry, but I will not waste my time ( again ) watching such dribble.

If you want me to watch a video now, please post the timeframe in & the specific item you are asking about, otherwise I am too busy.

On to your questions;

IMG_1102.jpeg

7.2 KW EV ,,, I don’t know, but is that something you want in a T-4 ?

Car Charger; in short a “Great Alternator” & a “Good DC2DC” like a Kisae. 30amp 50amp 100amp now ,,, they are dual “alternator & solar” chargers

Campsite;

This ( dual or single );

IMG_1105.jpeg

& one of these if the Campsite has 30 amp only ( Caveat - careful on selecting these as you want an adapter that plugs into the campsite pedestal & then into a 15amp extension cord heavy gauge ). I use a 30amp shore inlet on my van, so I have gone another method & this suggestion has not been vetted by me );

IMG_1106.jpeg

For 120Vac House ,,, See above NOCO.

If you want to see my 30amp Inlet on my van go here;

IMG_1107.jpeg

Onto your “Load Calculations” or “Energy Audit”;

IMG_1103.jpeg

I was having difficulty deciphering this, however, now that I have a second look at it, I understand the word in French for days and that the “J” is not for “Joules”. When I first looked at this, I was very confused with the. “J”.

So what is your total KWh use per day ?

FYI, here are a couple of examples I did for DIY van builders to help them understand their needs;

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_1109.jpeg

The last one was more complicated & incomplete for information input.

The next comment is for “clarity only” & I think you know this;

A Watt “W” is “Power”

A watt hour “Wh” is “Energy”

If you calculate your energy needs in “Wh” rather than amp hours “Ah”, then we can disregard the battery or system voltage calculations. It is the purist way to calculate.👍

On a “Final Note”;

This Victron “Wire Unlimited” pdf / manual teaches the very basic to help DIYers understand & learn. If you know everything in it then bypass it ,,, but if not ,,, help yourself out by reading it ,,, I highly recommend it & it is free self paced learning;

IMG_1110.jpeg

Ok; I’m down from my soapbox now 😁 ,,, Not Soon Enough they say !!

Last edited:
Actually it is quite possible to use a dual battery setup in a modern vehicle with 'active' regs- you just have to be careful about where you wire the second battery charge point to... (some monitor the negative side, some monitor while the positive side, I've done quite a few of both...)
500W and going to 24v???
😲
You'd hate my 12v 8kw continuous, 16kw peak inverter then lol

I like pretty much anything electro - mechanical in nature, especially if the person designing and building it has put some thought into it.

Just because I would build something in a different way than you did for a particular project does not mean I don't respect your work or approach.

I get some flack for insisting on using as much North America mfg content as possible due to the increased cost - but it is just who I am.

As you go through the battery data sheets to look at the suggested charge rates, for fun look at the similar battle born batteries data sheet.

I am not suggesting that you buy them, but this info helps to explain why people use them.

What do I need to charge with an EV public charger (7.2kW)?
What do I need to charge with a car alternator?
What do I need to plug in a camping site?
What do I need to plug in a 120V AC house?
You need a charger!
Charger + J1772 outlet + J1772 controller and you will be able to access public stations (maybe start to think about Tesla outlet as it will be the north america standard soon).
Charger + Nema 14-50 plug and you will be able to access 50A at camping.
Charger + Nema 5-15 and you will charge everywhere (at 1.5 kW max).

Hi @JohnD0h

So This post will be long.

First, I am going to give you more grace than I generally do on forums, as I understand english is not your first language & that can be difficult & things can be lost in translation. I would be lost if I had to communicate in Francais. Un peu de francais, but not much.

So where to Start ,,, EV Charging ,,, I have not done it, so not much help here, but I do have a few comments about the videos you posted;

View attachment 197276

Sprinter Guy Video; This can be an issue on YouTube. IMO, I do not think many DIYers would catch this & tge risk is possibly low ,,, but ,,, if you do not know what this DIYer did here, he compromised the oneway “exhaust only” of the driver’s side rear interior air relief vent. Sticking a cord thru that device can create an inlet for tailpipe exhaust fumes & especially if the rooftop fan is exhausting interior air. Possible yes, unsafe maybe, probable 🤷‍♂️.

Careful who you “follow” out there.

This is not impressive charge rates for me for EV charging;

View attachment 197278

Next Up ,,, Single Handedly Saving the World with his Diesel Guy;

View attachment 197277

Ok, I lasted to 4:31. Maybe I bailed early, but the 1/4 of the video I watched was just ego back-patting & verbal diarrhea about how great he is being charging up his diesel van with EV chargers sometimes for free. Sorry, but I will not waste my time ( again ) watching such dribble.

If you want me to watch a video now, please post the timeframe in & the specific item you are asking about, otherwise I am too busy.

On to your questions;

View attachment 197279

Car Charger; in short a “Great Alternator” & a “Good DC2DC” like a Kisae. 30amp 50amp 100amp now ,,, they are dual “alternator & solar” chargers

Campsite;

This ( dual or single );

View attachment 197281

& one of these if the Campsite has 30 amp only ( Caveat - careful on selecting these as you want an adapter that plugs into the campsite pedestal & then into a 15amp extension cord heavy gauge ). I use a 30amp shore inlet on my van, so I have gone another method & this suggestion has not been vetted by me );

View attachment 197282

For 120Vac House ,,, See above NOCO.

If you want to see my 30amp Inlet on my van go here;

View attachment 197286

Onto your “Load Calculations” or “Energy Audit”;

View attachment 197289

I was having difficulty deciphering this, however, now that I have a second look at it, I understand the word in French for days and that the “J” is not for “Joules”. When I first looked at this, I was very confused with the. “J”.

So what is your total KWh use per day ?

FYI, here are a couple of examples I did for DIY van builders to help them understand their needs;

View attachment 197291

View attachment 197292

The last one was more complicated & incomplete for information input.

The next comment is for “clarity only” & I think you know this;

A Watt “W” is “Power”

A watt hour “Wh” is “Energy”

If you calculate your energy needs in “Wh” rather than amp hours “Ah”, then we can disregard the battery or system voltage calculations. It is the purist way to calculate.👍

On a “Final Note”;

This Victron “Wire Unlimited” pdf / manual teaches the very basic to help DIYers understand & learn. If you know everything in it then bypass it ,,, but if not ,,, help yourself out by reading it ,,, I highly recommend it & it is free self paced learning;

View attachment 197298

Ok; I’m down from my soapbox now 😁 ,,, Not Soon Enough they say !!
Big thanks RV8R for all the time you have take to give me all that clear and quality info, it's really appreciate!

I think that I prefer that than solar panel in Canadian climate, and we have thousands of EV public station here in Quebec!

I estimate that my need will be around 2KWh/day and I want around 5KWh to 6KWh in battery.
So my second system will need to have 4KWh to 5KWh since I'll have a first year, separate system with 1280Wh for my DC only during my build.

Thanks for the reading recommendation, I know I still need to learn a lot about electricity

Big thanks RV8R for all the time you have take to give me all that clear and quality info, it's really appreciate!

I think that I prefer that than solar panel in Canadian climate, and we have thousands of EV public station here in Quebec!

I estimate that my need will be around 2KWh/day and I want around 5KWh to 6KWh in battery.
So my second system will need to have 4KWh to 5KWh since I'll have a first year, separate system with 1280Wh for my DC only during my build.

Thanks for the reading recommendation, I know I still need to learn a lot about electricity

I don’t live in my van, but I have 250Ah 12vdc AGM system.

I think my use is about 600 Wh to 900Wh per day 0.6 kWh to 0.9 kWh per day ,,, that would be heavy use for us. My Kisae 14.7 v @ 50a = 735W puts back 700Wh every hour driving. I have AGMs, so it really doesn’t work like that due to the internal resistance of the AGMs as they get back up towards 100% SOC, but it would on Lithium.

So our use patterns & needs are vastly different. Because I have a cabin & a Victron 100 | 50 and a similar setup & I charge my Cabin AGMs almost 100% on solar here is my daily consumption ,,, recorded;

IMG_9513.png

IMG_9591.png

My Cabin is small, but still has about 4 times as big as my van, but other than the propane furnace ( same Propex HS2800 in both ), the electrical & use is similar.

If you need help reading these Victron graphs let me know, but the 80Wh is a standby drain ,,, mostly a very small composting toilet fan.

So in the last screenshot our use is about 500Wh per day ,,, all that goes back in is Solar & this records it.

The key for us is Propane.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of sun here in Quebec for a huge part of the year (simply forget November, december, january).
Panel are cheap now and give you free electricity.

To me, it seem annoying to highly rely on public station to charge.
And watch out when you will realise that a 6-7 kW charger cost 4 times what a simple solar set up can cost.

I have two Renogy 175 watt arrays on my SUV and had averaged 20.3A and 20.8A for over 90 minutes today. I'm currently in south-west Manitoba and my tilt mount is still far from getting a good angle with the sun. I've also attached both my panel specs below. The controller used was a CanadaProof PWM.20240221_135124.jpgFRONT PANEL SPEC.jpgREAR PANEL SPEC.jpg
While many people do say solar collection isn't great in Canada (they're right; some days are pure misery for me), you can get a lot of good power still. AND with an MPPT, you can harvest even more as they're so much mor efficient.

Last edited:
There is quite a bit of sun here in Quebec for a huge part of the year (simply forget November, december, january).
Panel are cheap now and give you free electricity.

To me, it seem annoying to highly rely on public station to charge.
And watch out when you will realise that a 6-7 kW charger cost 4 times what a simple solar set up can cost.
I'll live in my van 12 month/year so I can't simply forget November, December, January!

I don't say an absolute no to solar, but I don't see it as a viable solution for me now.

Last edited:
That's just it- by staying at 12v (or 24v for larger motorhomes based on a truck or bus chassis), you can use the alternator to charge the battery bank while driving- arriving there with your battery bank fully charged and ready for action...
(plus it means in an emergency, you can start the engine up and 'fast idle' it as an emergency generator- yes its relatively inefficient, but it works lol)
A 100A 12v nominal car alternator is capable of over 1200w/1.2kw per hour of use- an equivalent solar array is five of my 250w panels- which would pretty much fill the entire roof of a long wheel base Sprinter van...

View attachment 197456
That's a 4wd Hilux parked near the shed in comparison
That 5 panels would just fit on the roof of this Mercedes Sprinter LWB van (commonly used for motorhomes)
View attachment 197457
Makes little sense to drive to an EV charger (which takes how long???) to charge up (at a cost- 'free EV' chargers are rare and becoming rarer)when the alternator could have literally done the same job while driving to and from the charger in the first place lol
Bop, with all my respect, can you start your own post please! (y)

• Angry
Reactions: Bop
And it's not a 6-7 KW charger, it's a 240V to 12V-24V charger
You have to speak of power (watts) or at least in amps, like 24V x 100A = 2.4 kW.
A low power 24V charger cost nothing, but a high power 24V charger who allow you to fill a 5-6 kWh battery in less than few hours will cost a lot.

That's a neat little device. I also like how it has outlets used in different countries, too. You may be on to something here JohnD0h, good find!

So I'm assuming you would need to plug in a regular charger from that to your batteries for getting them charged up? I'd think a 25A charger would suffice for the job?

If I'm right, I think I have found just what I need to charge from EV Level 2 public station!
How converter + charger could be a better solution than just a charger?
Don't complicate things for nothing. Most charger can take AC 90V ~ 264V.
You need something like this, but look at the price and the 48V version is only available in 3 kW as the 6 kW start at 108V. https://canev.com/collections/chargers

Your only low cost solution is to find a 500W - 1 kW charger, but then you will need to stay many hours at the charge station ($$) or at any regular 120V outlet (free?).

How converter + charger could be a better solution than just a charger?
Don't complicate things for nothing. Most charger can take AC 90V ~ 264V.
You need something like this, but look at the price and the 48V version is only available in 3 kW as the 6 kW start at 108V. https://canev.com/collections/chargers

Your only low cost solution is to find a 500W - 1 kW charger, but then you will need to stay many hours at the charge station ($$) or at any regular 120V outlet (free?).
From the description of the converter quote:
"It is a very useful device for camper vans and RVs. Van dwellers who want to plug in to electric car chargers to charge their batteries or operate appliances can easily do so now. "
And it's CAD 300$.
What wrong with that?!

Nothing except that it's NOT a charger.

You can also look at the EG4 Chargeverter who is quite low cost for the power.
I know that it's not a charger, and I have mention it in my above post.
I just want a option for when I need to charge my battery and that I'm on the road and I'll able to do it for under CAD 500$!

BTW on another subject, I've take a look at your Vanabolt on TheSamba forum, nice job! (y)
Something I would like to do in the eventuality that I need to change the engine of my van!

Back