diy solar

diy solar

SOK 206ah 12V LiFePO4

dudedogvan

I have received my SOK 206ah 12V LiFePO4 from shopsolarkits.com! It took 15 days from the date ordered for it to arrive. My novice first impressions are very good for this battery. It shipped double boxed, enclosed in a protective foam mold that completely filled the interior volume of the 2nd box. A small card inside instructs me to send my order number to SOK to register for warranty. I opened the lid by removing 10 phillips head screws and checked the voltage of the individual cells. All of the cells are balanced at individual readings of 3.26V amounting to a total voltage of 13.06V, confirmed at the main terminals of the battery. I am impressed with the build quality and the internal wiring is organized and seems solid. As long as the battery holds up with the longevity I expect, I will be happy with my purchase. I have ordered all the other components for my build, including a 500A victron smartShunt.
  • Should I do a capacity test or just plug-n-play? Low temp cutoff test? Any other recommendations to confirm the health/functionality of the battery?

Last edited:
At 3.26V/cell, it is likely at a 30-50% SoC, so I would recommend a full charge prior to deployment.

Would like to stress that 3.26V on all cells does NOT indicate "balanced." Balance can only apply at empty or full as "balance" is applicable to the state of charge - not voltage. The flatness of the voltage curve of LFP can have cells that are notably imbalanced still have nearly identical voltages in the majority of the operating range.

When fully charged, and all cells are the same at > 3.50V, then one can say with some confidence that the cells are balanced.

If you have the means to capacity test it, I would never discourage that, but it's likely not necessary.

At 3.26V/cell, it is likely at a 30-50% SoC, so I would recommend a full charge prior to deployment.

Would like to stress that 3.26V on all cells does NOT indicate "balanced." Balance can only apply at empty or full as "balance" is applicable to the state of charge - not voltage. The flatness of the voltage curve of LFP can have cells that are notably imbalanced still have nearly identical voltages in the majority of the operating range.

When fully charged, and all cells are the same at > 3.50V, then one can say with some confidence that the cells are balanced.

If you have the means to capacity test it, I would never discourage that, but it's likely not necessary.
Thanks for clarifying those details. I'll be sure to charge it to 100% and recheck the voltages at that point.

I am finishing up the full build. Everything is wired except the feeders to the fridge, water pump, and USB sockets. Most of the furniture is built. The sink is built, but I still have to plumb it. The roof rack is finished, but I have a couple things to button up. I'm closing in on completion. When the whole thing is done, I will take plenty of pictures and post the final product in "show and tell".

So what were the cell balance voltages after you charged the battery fully?
It would be useful information for others, that maybe fall in the trap of thinking their new cells being 'balanced' in the 30-50% SOC delivery state!?

Back