diy solar

diy solar

SOK and Furrion

Doublegemini

I purchased a SOK 206 battery and recently installed it in my new RV I am now having issues with my Furrion MPPT controller going into fault mode randomly I then have to disconnect the battery to reset the controller almost every day. The controller is the Furrion 50 amp controller that came stock on my rv. Could this be caused by the SOK BMS? Or could it be my controller malfunctioning. Is there a way to test the battery BMS?

Dumb question, but what kind of controller do you have and what are your panels and configuration? Open voltage and how wired? May have nothing to do with the batteries. Most stock controllers are lower amp PWMs. Let's start there and work backwards.

Make sure when you connect the MPPT to the battery that the PV is not connected. Then reconnect the PV. The PV must also be disconnected before you attempt to connect or disconnect the battery to/from the MPPT.

Is there more details on the nature of the fault?

Using a voltmeter, what is the voltage as measured at the battery terminals and at the MPPT battery connection when there is a fault?

Make sure when you connect the MPPT to the battery that the PV is not connected. Then reconnect the PV. The PV must also be disconnected before you attempt to connect or disconnect the battery to/from the MPPT.

Is there more details on the nature of the fault?

Using a voltmeter, what is the voltage as measured at the battery terminals and at the MPPT battery connection when there is a fault?
Can you explain why the battery needs to be connected before the PV array? Thanks.

Can you explain why the battery needs to be connected before the PV array? Thanks.
Because the SCC needs to determine the system voltage properly. If the SCC is connected to the PV before it's connected to the battery, the SCC could get the wrong voltage and bad things can then happen.

For some SCCs, this only needs to happen the first time it is connected. Such SCCs will then assume that initial system voltage every time. Some SCCs will redetermine the system voltage each time it is connected. So it's best to always connect battery power to the SCC before connecting the PV to the SCC. Having a PV disconnect switch/breaker near the SCC makes this much simpler.

have you changed the profile to lithium in the MPPT? check all the wires and connections between the MPPT and the battery. could be overloading somewhere. GD unit?

We just got four SOK 206Ah batteries and I was surprised to learn that even the 206Ah battery has a 50A charge limitation. (That's only 25%!)

But when the charge surpasses that, instead of only accepting 50 amps, the whole battery turns off. Is it possible that's what's happening?

Thank you everyone for your comments I believe I’ve actually figured it out, when my SOK is fully charged the bms will not allow it to take any more the controller seems to think the battery is disconnected so it goes into fault mode but once the battery is drawn down it resets and will charge the battery again. My controller is a Furrion 50amp MPPT that came with my fifth wheel

Thank you everyone for your comments I believe I’ve actually figured it out, when my SOK is fully charged the bms will not allow it to take any more the controller seems to think the battery is disconnected so it goes into fault mode but once the battery is drawn down it resets and will charge the battery again. My controller is a Furrion 50amp MPPT that came with my fifth wheel
That is not what should be happening. It sounds like your charger is not setup correctly and it is trying to overcharge the battery. That will not be good for the long term health of the battery.

A solar charge controller shouldn't go into fault mode after it's done its job. It would be interesting to see what happens with a different battery.

What sort of battery were you using it with prior to getting the SOK battery?

Hi,
I signed up because I have the same problem as the OP. the Furrion MPPT worked fine, I install 1 200AH AmpereTime battery and now it will go into Fault when the battery is charged. It will come out of fault once the voltage on the battery dips. I'm still trying to figure out why, hoping someone out there comes across this that has an answer.
The MPPT is on the lithium setting
Currently do not have shore power connected
Last voltage reading with all 12v loads connected is 13.8v at the battery, cannot check at MPPT without disconnecting it

Back