diy solar

diy solar

SOK SK48V100 Problems

Ok, got the RS232 working now.
I use the pin layout as described by HighTechlab.

The driver (I use win10) is the most important piece here to make it working, also make sure you have a software that will use RS232.
I use PbmsTools HS1.0.6 (but it also works with other PbmsTools versions)

I also have the communication between the inverter and battery working.
But even I have the BMS communication running, the inverter does not stop discharging the battery until the battery goes around SOC 5%.

I can see that when I change the Pack OV Alarm to e.g 52.50V, the inverter receive this information and will use 52.50V to charge the battery.
So it looks like I have to tweak these BMS parameters in the battery??

MY QUESTION is: is there an explanation of all these parameters and how the inverter react on these? (inverter like Axpert MAX II 10kw)

For example I would like to know which parameter (in the battery) I can set to stop charging at around 80% SOC. (is it Pack OV Alarm?)
Which parameters will stop the inverter discharging the battery around 20% SOC? (is it Pack UV Alarm?)

thanks in advance!

Ok, got the RS232 working now.
I use the pin layout as described by HighTechlab.

The driver (I use win10) is the most important piece here to make it working, also make sure you have a software that will use RS232.
I use PbmsTools HS1.0.6 (but it also works with other PbmsTools versions)

I also have the communication between the inverter and battery working.
But even I have the BMS communication running, the inverter does not stop discharging the battery until the battery goes around SOC 5%.

I can see that when I change the Pack OV Alarm to e.g 52.50V, the inverter receive this information and will use 52.50V to charge the battery.

MY QUESTION is: is there an explanation of all these parameters and how the inverter react on these? (inverter like Axpert MAX II 10kw)

For example I would like to know which parameter (in the battery) I can set to stop charging at around 80% SOC. (is it Pack OV Alarm?)
Which parameters will stop the inverter discharging the battery around 20% SOC? (is it Pack UV Alarm?)

thanks in advance!

these are settings that go into the inverter. Normally the BMS tells its status to the inverter. The inverter then decides what it wants to do.
The limits in the BMS act as some sort of safety-net, if the inverter tries stupid things. The inverter is supposed to normally not reach these limits.
However I do not know this particular inverter and how to configure it.

Countless settings must be above and below others - there are many settings that if not in the right range with respect to other settings, will cause protection to not work entirely. For this reason I ask that you do not change anything other than what I outlined in this post (quoted below) without talking to me first about what you are trying to accomplish for your exact use case.

If you change things without written instruction from me or SOK directly (see edit in next post), your warranty coverage is absolutely gone and we are not liable if you destroy your pack or burn down your house. You have the password so you can use it responsibly, not so that things can be tampered with.
In the meantime, the settings should be changed to match this photo - PM me for the parameter settings password:

Alarms take priority over the setpoint. Don't change the OVP alarm.

Last edited:
For example I would like to know which parameter (in the battery) I can set to stop charging at around 80% SOC.
Do NOT try to do this! If you do, the BMS won't be able to maintain balance as it only balances at 100% soc. Your cells will go out of balance over time and your capacity will be limited.

As quoted from the manual: If you only charged these batteries to 90%, then the BMS would never have a chance to offer any cell balancing due to the stable nature of LFP’s charge curve. If cells get out of balance, then the capacity of the entire pack is reduced to the capacity between the fully-discharged voltage of the lowest cell and the fully-charged voltage of the highest cell. If packs are not regularly balanced by the BMS, then the difference in balance can easily overcome what the BMS is able to correct, leading to quite poor performance of the system in general.

EDIT:
Sorry, I read back in the thread that you aren't using SOK battery, but my warnings probably match what the manufacturer of your battery would say.

Last edited:
Hi Dexter, thank you for the useful information.

The only problem I have is that my inverter discharge the battery until the battery goes into alarm.
Last time, it was around 4% SOC.

My inverter is connected to the battery using CAN. Is it possible that some information is not sent using the CAN connection and I really need
the RS485 connection?

Hi Dexter, thank you for the useful information.

The only problem I have is that my inverter discharge the battery until the battery goes into alarm.
Last time, it was around 4% SOC.

My inverter is connected to the battery using CAN. Is it possible that some information is not sent using the CAN connection and I really need
the RS485 connection?
I just read back and realized you aren't using SOK battery, so sorry if I'm confusing you talking about SOK batteries, but this thread was about them, now derailed...but either way.

The battery is programmed to stop the inverter at 5%. Why would you want the system to leave you in the dark? Normally generators are started before the system goes dark.

:) correct, I was not talking about SOK batteries.
isn't 5% SOC too low? many people say to respect the charge until 80% and discharge until 20%.....

isn't 5% SOC too low? many people say to respect the charge until 80% and discharge until 20%.....

i have no experience with this inverter, but is this the manual?

It describes all the battery parameters meanings. You find the required numbers in the batteries datasheet, and input it via the LCD or an App.
However this inverter seems only to be able to do very "simple" decisions on what to do. So you may need an additional "controller" for more detailed "rules" when to supply from which source and for how long.

If 4000 cycles is not good enough for you, fine, stop discharging at 20%...but if you don't plan to push past that, it's money spent that never does anything. Most people value the lights not going off every night over getting 12 years over 10 years (worst scenario)

yes, that is the inverter.
I have utility available, so I changed setting 16 from OSO to CSO.
setting 12 on 48V (that gives me around 18% SOC)

That is the best setting I found that works for me...

But still wondering why I have no extra value using BMS, since I had to go back to USE and put in all the parameters manual.
(anyone with an Axpert having the same problem ?)

Thanks for the help, much appreciated !!

I found the source - the 2023 version of software (batteries production date 2022/08 or newer) has a new field for fully charged voltage. This is defaulted to 56v and needs to be increased to 57.6v.

We are having SOK change this, among a small handful of settings on the batteries to help them balance better in Victron systems, as there is occasionally an issue where the batteries trigger multiple cell imbalance warnings on the Cerbo when they are brand new.

In the meantime, the settings should be changed to match this photo - PM me for the parameter settings password:
First of all I would like to thank all the input on this form, for me especially @HighTechLab @Will Prowse @Off-Grid-Garage for there contribution on this form and on youtube. Keep up the good work so that we all can benefit from all of eachother input. (little bit starstruck when tagging them ☺️)

This is my first time on this form and have a question on setting the params on the 48V100 SOK batterypacks (#SK48100P202209....), i also have received my SOK batterys just now and had to make my own cable like @stromy. I am glad i found this post and the new software provided by Dexter.

My question: I want to correct the params provided by Dexter in de SOK battery, but than hit a brickwall. Can read them and have the Password to change them. But when i want to want to change them i get wrong valeus and want to write them an error. Hope you can help me.

fault1.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-01-20 at 11.22.42.jpeg

First of all I would like to thank all the input on this form, for me especially @HighTechLab @Will Prowse @Off-Grid-Garage for there contribution on this form and on youtube. Keep up the good work so that we all can benefit from all of eachother input. (little bit starstruck when tagging them ☺️)

This is my first time on this form and have a question on setting the params on the 48V100 SOK batterypacks (#SK48100P202209....), i also have received my SOK batterys just now and had to make my own cable like @stromy. I am glad i found this post and the new software provided by Dexter.

My question: I want to correct the params provided by Dexter in de SOK battery, but than hit a brickwall. Can read them and have the Password to change them. But when i want to want to change them i get wrong valeus and want to write them an error. Hope you can help me.

i had the same problem. The software seems to only work in an English language environment in Windows.

So in Windows control panel change the language and locale to "English(US)". Then restart and the problem is gone.

i had the same problem. The software seems to only work in an English language environment in Windows.

So in Windows control panel change the language and locale to "English(US)". Then restart and the problem is gone.
Thanx for the Quick replay, and sollution perfect.

HHhhhmm i have to change the language of my intire windowns setup for one program. That is a bummer because it is alsow a fammely latop and englisch is not our native language. I am going to investigate this, maby use another windows profile and configure this as an englisch profile.

If anyone that is bilingual that is willing to help provide translations, we can add additional languages to the software's configuration, so please let me know. From experience, I do not trust Google translate for this task.

Dexter, I can help and add Dutch as language, let me know the procedure... thanks!

I am willing to help with a German translation, if you want to do it.
However i think its not worth the effort. This software is not for "Joe Average". You need to know some basics about battery technology to make any use of it. The technical terms and abbreviations are the same in any language, so no need for a translation.
However regardless of the SOKTools internal language, it should be fixed to run on any language version of windows.

Some other things i would prefer being improved:
1) print function: the batteries should be in use for 10+ years. So i want to document the settings. On paper, because who knows what software/environment will be in use in 10 years from now. Currently there is only "screen shot" for that.
2) provide some parameter.xml file with the software that contains the recommended settings for each type of battery. Maybe some additional files with variants of the parameters for extra performance or extra lifetime or other special uses.
3) provide some "help text" or "explanation text" e.g. as a "mouse over"-text that better explains the meaning/limits/recommendations/dangers of each setting/display value.

Currently there is only "screen shot" for that.
There is functionality to export logs as XML. will be documenting this.

the other two I will pass on to the main dev, as my ability to manipulate this capability is very limited

I am willing to help with a German translation, if you want to do it.
However i think its not worth the effort. This software is not for "Joe Average". You need to know some basics about battery technology to make any use of it. The technical terms and abbreviations are the same in any language, so no need for a translation.
However regardless of the SOKTools internal language, it should be fixed to run on any language version of windows.
Yes i agree @stromy . I also think is not worth the effort. Despite @HighTechLab meaning well. You have to be well known with this subject to configure the software but also the hardware right. Reading docs/form or any info about this subject in Englisch will be best practices in my opinion. This will also bring back any translation/interpretation errors to a minimum. Also you have to update all translations in all languages if the software changes, that can be challenging.
SOKTools internal language, it should be fixed to run on any language version of windows.
This i also agree

I will post pinout but I think your issue is voltage / signal levels of the converter. I got up early today and am going to the shop to check this first thing today.

EDIT: Signal levels are nothing special. Link to RS232 converter below.

Pinout drawing:

View attachment 128860

Here is also a link to the RS232 converter: http://www.szutek.com/pro_view-89.html

Did you install the drivers for the RS232 converter?
Do you have the pin-outs for the RJ12 6 pin connector. My SOK SK48V100 is 6 pins on the RS232 (SK48100P20220914..) ?

Back