diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K and GFCI breaker tripping

sgturner

Hi All,

I have a Sol-Ark 12K system with 32kWh of eFlex 5.4 batteries that was installed last September ('22). The Sol-Ark powers the entire house, except for my wife's 10kW electric kiln

The system has been working pretty well, except for a period in January when the batteries discharged below 48V due to "glitches" with the Modbus/RS485 communication between the Sol-Ark and the eFlex's. Changed to CAN bus communication, so hopefully that issue is solved.

Back in May, I started seeing an issue with the two GFCI breakers in my kitchen. One or both will periodically trip for no ( apparent ) reason. These breakers are probably around 8-10 years old and it would be weird if they both went flakey at the same time.

The logical conclusion is that its something to do with the Sol-Ark - but what?. Also interesting that it seems to have started when the PV production is starting to peak, although we have had an unusually cool spring in So. California with clouds from the ocean until noon or longer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some GFCI breakers blink out visual fault codes, check the manual. Maybe that will give some ideas

Also I believe AFCI and GFCI breakers have long warranties, if it comes to that.

I bought a couple of boxes of GFCI outlets for a house I was refurbishing a few years back, and within 2 years every single one of them had died. They came from Home Depot and were whatever the local one was carrying at the time so definitely not Amazon crap.

Hi All,

I have a Sol-Ark 12K system with 32kWh of eFlex 5.4 batteries that was installed last September ('22). The Sol-Ark powers the entire house, except for my wife's 10kW electric kiln

The system has been working pretty well, except for a period in January when the batteries discharged below 48V due to "glitches" with the Modbus/RS485 communication between the Sol-Ark and the eFlex's. Changed to CAN bus communication, so hopefully that issue is solved.

Back in May, I started seeing an issue with the two GFCI breakers in my kitchen. One or both will periodically trip for no ( apparent ) reason. These breakers are probably around 8-10 years old and it would be weird if they both went flakey at the same time.

The logical conclusion is that its something to do with the Sol-Ark - but what?. Also interesting that it seems to have started when the PV production is starting to peak, although we have had an unusually cool spring in So. California with clouds from the ocean until noon or longer.

did you ever find a solution to this I have seen this also myself and your correct about the solar pv production peaking I lay blame on an underground PV wire leaking DC into the ground and coming back into the system ?

Hi All,

SA12K x2, 20 mo off grid, no problems. All 32kWpv grounded at arrays along with MS SPD’s.

FWIW, across our two main buildings I probably replace one GFCI every year due to false tripping. The replacements always work just fine. I'm convinced they just go bad, and that those now being sold at big box stores are of lower quality than in years past. On circuits that must stay powered but require a GFCI (e.g., garage freezers), I've taken to adding a small device that alerts me via our home automation system if the power goes out. Saved our bacon (literally) more than once. And yep, I did have a case once where two died (started tripping for no reason) within a day or two of each other. The replacements are still working fine today, with no false tripping on either, two or three years later. Given that we live out in the boonies, I always keep a spare GFCI on hand.

FWIW, across our two main buildings I probably replace one GFCI every year due to false tripping. The replacements always work just fine. I'm convinced they just go bad, and that those now being sold at big box stores are of lower quality than in years past. On circuits that must stay powered but require a GFCI (e.g., garage freezers), I've taken to adding a small device that alerts me via our home automation system if the power goes out. Saved our bacon (literally) more than once. And yep, I did have a case once where two died (started tripping for no reason) within a day or two of each other. The replacements are still working fine today, with no false tripping on either, two or three years later. Given that we live out in the boonies, I always keep a spare GFCI on hand.
I have at least six GFCI breakers in my SQ D QO panel that are 23 years old and I have never had one issue. I went with breakers instead of outlets because of the large amount of failures at my customer’s homes. If one installs a sensitive outlet or any cheap electronics in a high humidity location, it will not last.

Last edited:
I have at least six GFCI breakers in my SQ D QO panel that are 23 years old and I have never had one issue. I went with breakers instead of outlets because of the large amount of failures at my customers homes. If one installs a sensitive outlet or any cheap electronics in a high humidity location, it will not last.
Come to think of it, I can't recall replacing a GFCI breaker, either - just a lot of GFCI outlets in various properties over the years. The current property has lots of AFCI breakers and I have replaced one or two of those. But never a GFCI one.

Back