diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 12K + Enphase IQ8 microinverters

Ampster.. just to be clear , with the current "Off-Grid FW60 No Export" grid profile installed, and my 12Kw PV AC coupled only input, I have been charging batteries, and supporting loads for > 24 hours.
Thanks. I was not able to access grid profiles until recently. I did not see "Off-Grid FW60 No Export" as an option. Perhaps I need to download more profiles. It was not clear if your micros export when the grid is up? I am reluctant to try an off grid profile. I have heard that a Puerto Rico profile might also work.
EDIT: i did find Off-Grid FW60 and a generic one with with the No Export suffex. I changed to the Puerto Rico profile but it was too late to drop the grid because my battery is 99% and I have no other loads to put on. I will try in the morning and can add my 4kW EV charging load.

Last edited:
Thanks. I was not able to access grid profiles until recently. I did not see "Off-Grid FW60 No Export" as an option. Perhaps I need to download more profiles. It was not clear if your micros export when the grid is up? I am reluctant to try an off grid profile. I have heard that a Puerto Rico profile might also work.
EDIT: i did find Off-Grid FW60 and a generic one with with the No Export suffex. I changed to the Puerto Rico profile but it was too late to drop the grid because my battery is 99% and I have no other loads to put on. I will try in the morning and can add my 4kW EV charging load.
Ampster

I got this reply from Enphase, when I asked them to share the Off-Grid FW60 No Export grid profile with me.

==================================================
Thanks for contacting Enphase Energy.
Hope you are doing good!

The grid profile "Off-Grid FW60 No Export" is not available in Installer Toolkit. Only we can change these grid profiles.

If you want us to change grid profile to Off-Grid FW60 No Export, kindly reply to this mail and confirm.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.
===============================================
So this means if there is some kind of emergency, I will need to hope that they stay up, and are able to install the grid profile that I was able to see working for >48 hours.

I also did a test of IEEE 1547 default 2015 and was happy to see that in the AM , with low 1kw PV available, and my battery was at 35% the enphase system stayed on when I flipped my main disconnect switch off, and disconnected from the grid.

This behavior (all 30 Enphase IQ7a's not seeing a power glitch, and shutting down) appears to support the fact that the Sol-ark 15kw AC coupled grid simulation is good .

As the day progressed, and the batteries were being charged, and home loads supported the behavior of the IQ7a's became erratic, and they cycled on, and off at what appears to be regular intervals.

Confirmed it is 10 minutes PV on, then 15 minutes PV off, very regular behaviour

The test with the Off-Grid FW60 No Export did not behave this way, so it appears that I would need access to that grid profile if I want to run my entire system off grid.

I terminated the experiment at noon, and have attached the Sol-ark PV generated over that day results below.

Next experiment will be to try disabling 1 of the 3 strings, and see if reducing the amount of PV connected with the IEEE 1547 default 2015 grid profile to see if that helps keep the PV running on a sunny day.

Attachments

• IEEE 1547 default 2015 grid profile off grid test.pdf
    412.4 KB · Views: 5
So this means if there is some kind of emergency, I will need to hope that they stay up, and are able to install the grid profile that I was able to see working for >48 hours.
Once a profile has been successfully installed it's stored in the Envoy. If you have installer access to Envoy then you can reapply the profile at any time without Internet connectivity.

Once a profile has been successfully installed it's stored in the Envoy. If you have installer access to Envoy then you can reapply the profile at any time without Internet connectivity.
pJust wanted to edit this post to add my experience with accessing the Envoy locally, and finding the off-grid profile that worked with my Sol-ark 15k, and my IQ7a inverters.

I first tried using my cell phone installer app, and had no success within the app.
I then ended up using my laptop, and the access worked, and allowed me to see and have the option to re-install a grid profile I had over-written but was no stored locally on my enphase envoy computer.

It is a little "convoluted" to gain access, and I have attached a powerpoint showing the steps I used to gain access as an installer.

You must generate and save an API key based on your installer login and PW, and the system ID of the system you want to access.

My plan is to save this long API key in my notes, so if/when the grid and internet access is NOT available, I can use the method to access my system completely off grid, with no internet locally on the ground in my backyard.

See attached, and let me know if you have questions and THANK YOU to SOLAR8484 for his insight indicating the old no longer in use grid profile is present and can be re-installed.

I have an open ticket with Enphase for several days, and no reply. I have installer access to my system. I will wait and see how they reply, hopefully this access/ability will not be disabled.

I continue to investigate/look for a grid profile that is "one stop shopping" that will both allow export, and operate correctly off grid.

Thanks again.. glad to hear this is available for emergency use.

Attachments

• locating and accessing grid profile on my combiner box.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back