diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K AC and DC Coupling

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Sol-Ark 15K, connected directly to the grid. I'll have 19.1kW of DC PV connected when done.
I have a 10K generator that came with the house that I was going to connect to gen in, but as I add batteries, I'm looking at using the gen in for AC PV instead.

I believe from what the manual says is that I can add up to 19.2kW (I would be adding at most a third of that). What I don't understand yet is how that is used. I know it will work during grid down, and that it is monitored. What I don't know is how it plays with the DC side, with batteries. Right now I have my inverter set up to charge batteries only with PV. In the winter, even with all my DC panels installed, it's not going to be enough to fully charge my batteries (3 X 304ah). The hope is to add the AC panels to help with that.

So I guess my general question is, will it use the AC PV to charge the batteries, or does the AC PV just help offset grid usage?

I believe AC coupling passes through to the grid after covering loads. That may include battery charging if there is not enough solar from DC coupled solar to charge batteries.

Last edited:
I think it's AC generated - AC consumed = excess AC
excess AC - inverter battery charging = surplus AC to grid (if grid down, sol-ark will tell panels to curtail performance)

Back