diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15k Operational Impressions?

None of the Whole home Inverters have storage built in. I think you are thinking of Eco Flow or Jackery type system. Those are tiny systems for powering a campsite or cabin at night.
I got that from the Sol-Ark 15k spec sheet, under the "AC power output" heading. "Continuous AC power to load (Off-grid) -- 12,000W." I'm new to all this, and I misunderstood this.

I got that from the Sol-Ark 15k spec sheet, under the "AC power output" heading. "Continuous AC power to load (Off-grid) -- 12,000W." I'm new to all this, and I misunderstood this.
12,000 Watts if you have the batteries to support it. You would need a minimum of 20KWh of batteries for that Inverter. Most people will probaby be using about 60KWh or more of batteries with it.

12,000 Watts if you have the batteries to support it. You would need a minimum of 20KWh of batteries for that Inverter. Most people will probaby be using about 60KWh or more of batteries with it.
If I can find someone to install, I was thinking of three EG4's. It won't work with 15kWh?

Is it a single 15kWh battery or three 5kWh ones?
Three five ones.

Three five ones.

I just realized that I was confused. I thought you were talking about using a 15kWh battery with three EG4 inverters lol

I'm off-grid mode you could potentially exceed the max discharge rate of 3 of those batteries with the Sol-ark 15k. It can do 24kW for 10 seconds. With a 48V cutoff that's potentially ~525A or so. The EG4 BMSs would cutoff after 3 seconds of that.

Does the Sol-Ark have protective circuits for that sort of thing? I'm really limited in my choices for a home backup system, because of a deep well, running a 110v pump off a 40A circuit. Not many systems have the beef to handle something like that, along with other power draws on the home.

Does the Sol-Ark have protective circuits for that sort of thing? I'm really limited in my choices for a home backup system, because of a deep well, running a 110v pump off a 40A circuit. Not many systems have the beef to handle something like that, along with other power draws on the home.
You can set the max continuous discharge current in the Sol-Ark settings. I'm not sure how that affects the peak discharge though (if at all). What is the starting and running wattage on the well pump?

What's the startup amperage (SFA) on your well pump, and its running amperage? Putting a soft starter on it should bring that down considerably, which will make it easier to balance your peak loads. Ditto any HVAC you may have with similar characteristics. And then you need to characterize the load levels and use patterns of your residence to know how your electricity service, including solar and storage, will be optimally architected. Otherwise you're likely to experience some consequences of the cart-before-the-horse phenomenon.

Thank you very much, both niktak11 and Balthazar-B. The pump, unfortunately, is of unknown power requirements, and is down 220 feet. I opened the service box for it, and they didn't put any label or paperwork in there. (They didn't even run the underground line in a conduit.) I called a local well-drilling service to see if they could help (the original installer is out of business) but they haven't responded yet.

I've started another thread over in the Beginner section, and I asked about the soft-start module. That's certainly something to keep in the "bag of tricks" possibilities. But, if I understand the capability of the Sol-Ark unit, that shouldn't be necessary. If I can get someone to install it, I'm not going to put it ahead of our main panel with the 240v appliances. I'll put it between that and the house 110v subpanel, just for emergency outages.

I still haven't resolved if this Sol-Ark unit will serve my purposes, with 15kWh of backup. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and I really appreciate your help! Thanks!

Thank you very much, both niktak11 and Balthazar-B. The pump, unfortunately, is of unknown power requirements, and is down 220 feet. I opened the service box for it, and they didn't put any label or paperwork in there. (They didn't even run the underground line in a conduit.) I called a local well-drilling service to see if they could help (the original installer is out of business) but they haven't responded yet.

I've started another thread over in the Beginner section, and I asked about the soft-start module. That's certainly something to keep in the "bag of tricks" possibilities. But, if I understand the capability of the Sol-Ark unit, that shouldn't be necessary. If I can get someone to install it, I'm not going to put it ahead of our main panel with the 240v appliances. I'll put it between that and the house 110v subpanel, just for emergency outages.

I still haven't resolved if this Sol-Ark unit will serve my purposes, with 15kWh of backup. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and I really appreciate your help! Thanks!
You can measure the starting and running current with a clamp meter. That'll give you a better idea of how other stuff you'll be able to run at the same time.

Plenty of good info online on soft starter devices (including but not limited to YouTube). Like surge suppressors, they're often not strictly necessary...but the day(s) may come along when you wish you'd installed them...

It will be extremely helpful for you to know about your well pump and related components. You should determine how old it is, since they don't last forever. 110v devices are relatively rare in the world of well pumps (maybe plan on a 240v circuit for the future?). If you can't find the manufacturer/model, at least you should be able to test the circuit to characterize the startup behavior and draw. It's pretty crucial information. And hey, it's an opportunity to connect with someone who you're inevitably going to call to replace your pump, if not drill a new well for you! :)

Plenty of good info online on soft starter devices (including but not limited to YouTube). Like surge suppressors, they're often not strictly necessary...but the day(s) may come along when you wish you'd installed them...

It will be extremely helpful for you to know about your well pump and related components. You should determine how old it is, since they don't last forever. 110v devices are relatively rare in the world of well pumps (maybe plan on a 240v circuit for the future?). If you can't find the manufacturer/model, at least you should be able to test the circuit to characterize the startup behavior and draw. It's pretty crucial information. And hey, it's an opportunity to connect with someone who you're inevitably going to call to replace your pump, if not drill a new well for you! :)
Yikes! I certainly don't want to entertain replacing it any time soon! I understand the process can set you back thousands.

If I set up the backup system to the 110v panel, I don't want to move the pump to the 240v panel. That would completely defeat the purpose of keeping the backup manageable with the house subpanel, with enough power to hold us a couple of days if necessary.

I agree, it would be very helpful to know more about the pump. I'm trying! I'm willing to pay for a service call out here to get an evaluation, but they haven't returned my calls yet.

Yikes! I certainly don't want to entertain replacing it any time soon! I understand the process can set you back thousands.

If I set up the backup system to the 110v panel, I don't want to move the pump to the 240v panel. That would completely defeat the purpose of keeping the backup manageable with the house subpanel, with enough power to hold us a couple of days if necessary.

I agree, it would be very helpful to know more about the pump. I'm trying! I'm willing to pay for a service call out here to get an evaluation, but they haven't returned my calls yet.
Just find what circuit it's on (it should be on its own circuit) and stick a clamp meter on it. It's pretty simple and clamp meters are fairly cheap, plus they are handy if you don't own one.

I just checked the spec sheet. It says "100A constant." It's the one Will recommends in his videos.
Other documentation states it's 30 Amps. User experience seems to back up the 30 Amp number and Signature Solar is yet to Deny it's 30 Amps. Your better off with the SOK 48V battery which can do 100 Amps.

I would follow the advice you have been given and get a good clamp meter and start measuring and writing down how many Amps all of the major devices are using. Do not buy anything until you know what you are trying to power!

I can tell you straight up that I do not think there is any chance that three EG4 Lifepower batteries are going to do what you want. I would not be surprised if they do not even start the Inverter. My best Advice to you is to get the SOK batteries because the user experience on the forum has been very positive. I would get no less than four of them to start with. This is a Monster Inverter you are buying and you cannot hook it up to a Pee Wee sized battery bank.

I am trying to help you, not throw obstacles in front of you. Even with 4 Batteries if your continuous load is high then you will really be pulling a high amount of current relative to the battery Max current or a "a high C Rate" from the batteries. The higher the C Rate you pull is the shorter the life span of the batteries.

Last edited:
Just find what circuit it's on (it should be on its own circuit) and stick a clamp meter on it. It's pretty simple and clamp meters are fairly cheap, plus they are handy if you don't own one.
OK. I think the only place with exposed wiring that I can get to is right on top of the cap of the well. I'll have to look.

I would follow the advice you have been given and get a good clamp meter and start measuring and writing down how many Amps all of the major devices are using. Do not buy anything until you know what you are trying to power!

I can tell you straight up that I do not think there is any chance that three EG4 Lifepower batteries are going to do what you want. I would not be surprised if they do not even start the Inverter. My best Advice to you is to get the SOK batteries because the user experience on the forum has been very positive. I would get no less than four of them to start with. This is a Monster Inverter you are buying and you cannot hook it up to a Pee Wee sized battery bank.

I am trying to help you, not throw obstacles in front of you. Even with 4 Batteries if your continuous load is high then you will really be pulling a high amount of current relative to the battery Max current or a "a high C Rate" from the batteries. The higher the C Rate you pull is the shorter the life span of the batteries.
Wow, thanks for that! I was trusting that number...didn't realize there was a discrepancy! I watched the video where Will opened up both the Lifepower and the SOK, and other than both being essentially identical inside, the build was superior with the Lifepower.

I don't believe my load is high -- that's why I was going to put the Sol-Ark between the main panel and the house subpanel. The heaviest draws on the house subpanel are the side-by-side refrig/freezer, a chest freezer, a small pump in our septic lift station, an exhaust fan in my greenhouse, and the well pump. The rest are just lights, kitchen (which we would only use the microwave for short periods...no oven use), and computer and/or TV. Nothing else. Just keeping us basically in food and water during an extended outage.

Back