diy solar

diy solar

Sol-ark + batrium canbus integration workaround until its supported

dont think its a victron thing

if i change the seplos mason box to sunny boy it shows "SHEnergy"
also i have a 5yo seplos v1 based battery pack that shows up as "pylontech" by default
pytes battery whe nset to victron dip switches shows up as "Pytes"
so name does change with diff protocol implementations

not sure who is andy but im jsut sharing what i have found experimenting, even with batrium project lychee emulates lg resu protocol and works with sol-ark, even tho when i asked them they said lg resu is not compatible wit "their" inverter

pretty sure my bms is v2

Yes but I have some pending changes, I will be moving my bank into the Seplos Mason kits & use the Seplos BMS. Main reason is space limitations in expanding my storage, Mason kit format will work better in my situation. My model is an indoor (1.1.2.2).
Where did you purchase the mason kits?
Sepolos directly or is they’re a US seller/dealer?
Are there any other options like this?
I’d like the boxes (Mason kits) but not all the Sepolos equipment.

Where did you purchase the mason kits?
Sepolos directly or is they’re a US seller/dealer?
Are there any other options like this?
I’d like the boxes (Mason kits) but not all the Sepolos equipment.
From Seplos directly (via Alibaba). Unsure but it seems like this model size (280a - 304a support) is used by a number of vendors (EEL, Seplos, Apexium) A review / build of the latter was done recently by a couple folks:

Appears they all use similar BMSs but I guess you could ask them to sell you just the box with no internals...

What BMS would you use instead?

I would like to still use Batrium and just reconfigure things to fit on those boxes. At least try one box and see. Experiment.

PS: Thanks for the info and links. I’ll look into those.

From Seplos directly (via Alibaba). Unsure but it seems like this model size (280a - 304a support) is used by a number of vendors (EEL, Seplos, Apexium) A review / build of the latter was done recently by a couple folks:

Appears they all use similar BMSs but I guess you could ask them to sell you just the box with no internals...

What BMS would you use instead?
you can get a box with no internals, i know a dealer that stocks apexium in USA and you can order them in whatever flavor/combo/without BMS from china (also supports heating)

i have one apecium for few months now i have been testing and i like it a lot, even the BMS
4 more boxes are coming tomorrow from china with heating, planning on running batrium and seplos together and build a bypass for spelos if something goes wrong

got my seplos boxes, boxes themselves are good and i like them a lot (got heating pads too)

seplos BMS it self is MEH at best, lots of weird caveats, i was going to try and run them alone but issues like you can pull data to solar assistant via rs485 if CAN bus is configured and other weird stuff made it not viable for me

so increased/decreased all voltages/protection on seplos by 0.05v, disabled balancing etc and added batrium back into the mix, batrium talks CAN to salark, setup rs485 paralleling on seplos and hooked it up to solar assistant and i can see all 4 packs individually and their hi/low cells etc, been running for a week or so and im happy how i works and getting data everywhere i want is fantastic :)

one thing left is to pull the heating pads off the seplos and control it via batirum so the shunt can calculate draw correctly when its heating the batteries

1699982215958.png

1699982446925.png

got my seplos boxes, boxes themselves are good and i like them a lot (got heating pads too)

seplos BMS it self is MEH at best, lots of weird caveats, i was going to try and run them alone but issues like you can pull data to solar assistant via rs485 if CAN bus is configured and other weird stuff made it not viable for me

so increased/decreased all voltages/protection on seplos by 0.05v, disabled balancing etc and added batrium back into the mix, batrium talks CAN to salark, setup rs485 paralleling on seplos and hooked it up to solar assistant and i can see all 4 packs individually and their hi/low cells etc, been running for a week or so and im happy how i works and getting data everywhere i want is fantastic :)

one thing left is to pull the heating pads off the seplos and control it via batirum so the shunt can calculate draw correctly when its heating the batteries

View attachment 177712

View attachment 177713
Very nice! So, as a redo, would you spend the money for the seplos boxes, or get the cheaper boxes and use the system you already had?

View attachment 177712

View attachment 177713
Just to be clear, you have basically stacked the BMS’s to use the best portions of each? Love the way it looks, so clean and not wires everywhere, like on my frankenboxes. Finally have my Batrium running nearly flawlessly and the n the cat got in my area and pulled the com wire. Took me a minute to figure out this was the issue. I only have 4 280ah batteries on k-9s on the other side of the shunt I am running 4 280ah with jbd’s. I don’t love dealing with the shunt trip popping off once in awhile and not knowing unless I go down in the crawl space where the batteries are located. I was entertaining the idea of grabbing some of the basen green boxes for $553 including shipping USA stock. I also found some no frills boxes but they need to ship from China $3000-ish for 10. Still on the fence about which way to go???

View attachment 177712

View attachment 177713
Very nice, clean, awesome setup!!! Great ideas and innovative!

View attachment 177712

View attachment 177713
Also, I am assuming the Batrium is running the balancing and the Seplos is controlling the charging port?

Very nice! So, as a redo, would you spend the money for the seplos boxes, or get the cheaper boxes and use the system you already had?
knowing what i know now i would buy boxes without BMS (my supplier can do that but not sure if it has all the punch outs or not)

i like the boxes themselves for extra safety and it doenst look like a fire hazard to regualr peope :) i can fit 4 stacks under my stairs vs 3 stacks of cells in a server rack on shelves

love that solarassitant now shows inverter and battery packs /cells together all in one (i could build a similar setup in home assistant without solarassitant and seplos but that's much more work and maintenance)

Just to be clear, you have basically stacked the BMS’s to use the best portions of each? Love the way it looks, so clean and not wires everywhere, like on my frankenboxes. Finally have my Batrium running nearly flawlessly and the n the cat got in my area and pulled the com wire. Took me a minute to figure out this was the issue. I only have 4 280ah batteries on k-9s on the other side of the shunt I am running 4 280ah with jbd’s. I don’t love dealing with the shunt trip popping off once in awhile and not knowing unless I go down in the crawl space where the batteries are located. I was entertaining the idea of grabbing some of the basen green boxes for $553 including shipping USA stock. I also found some no frills boxes but they need to ship from China $3000-ish for 10. Still on the fence about which way to go???
i basically made so seplos is second layer of safety if batrium goes crazy, it doesn't do balance and only kick in when cells go to min 2.45v or max 3.70v so letting batrium do all the balancing and talking to inverter (ideally seplos never disables charge/discharge) also it talks to solar assitant so i can see a complete picture there (inverter + battery bank) did notice that seplos draw at low levels is not very accurate

i think it came out to little over $500 delivered each, no bms is ~$200 less
That sounds like a good price either way. I have found the Luyuan boxes and they will prepunch for whatever I need. I think 10 will be $3175 delivered. I was about to do the basen green boxes, and did order 1for a new complete system build for our shop. Using that new eg4 6000 xp for that. Yeah, I love the look of your setup, very clean. Mine is a fire hazard and looks like a nightmare on steroids.wires everywhere. Happy with my Batrium, don’t love the shunt trip deal though. I like the jbd’s but not much info and no real comms ports available. I’m hoping I can use the comms on the new basen green box to run the show for the other two batteries in that bank? Probably order those boxes after the end of this week. I had thought that stacking the basen BMS with the Batrium might reduce the need for, or actuation of my shunt trip. Don’t really have the extra few thousand, if I can avoid it, especially not with the new system expenses. Plenty of winter projects, New eg4 mini split arrives tomorrow. Fun fun, is all we do!!!

That sounds like a good price either way. I have found the Luyuan boxes and they will prepunch for whatever I need. I think 10 will be $3175 delivered. I was about to do the basen green boxes, and did order 1for a new complete system build for our shop. Using that new eg4 6000 xp for that. Yeah, I love the look of your setup, very clean. Mine is a fire hazard and looks like a nightmare on steroids.wires everywhere. Happy with my Batrium, don’t love the shunt trip deal though. I like the jbd’s but not much info and no real comms ports available. I’m hoping I can use the comms on the new basen green box to run the show for the other two batteries in that bank? Probably order those boxes after the end of this week. I had thought that stacking the basen BMS with the Batrium might reduce the need for, or actuation of my shunt trip. Don’t really have the extra few thousand, if I can avoid it, especially not with the new system expenses. Plenty of winter projects, New eg4 mini split arrives tomorrow. Fun fun, is all we do!!!
Why does your shunt trip? Mine never does

Why does your shunt trip? Mine never does
One cell or another was overcharging during when fully charged had to reduce high charge voltage. Seems to be working fine. I think the bigger deal is I have anxiety about it and am constantly opening up the trap for to go see if it has. I’m more of a set it and forget it kind of guy.

Back