diy solar

diy solar

Solar array testing

nightrage

I know how to test individual solar panels. All but 1 have worked.

I finished installing my first 10 panels. But I'm not showing any power from the array on my growatt 3000 inverter. How do I test or trouble shoot this problem?

Well the first step is to check the voltage at the inverter itself with a volt meter. If its bad then go back thru disconnecting different panels to find where you get voltage to find the bad connection or panel.

How exactly are they wired? Series, parallel? How many in series? What type of panels? VOC?

Well the first step is to check the voltage at the inverter itself with a volt meter. If its bad then go back thru disconnecting different panels to find where you get voltage to find the bad connection or panel.
Thank you so much for responding. Sorry for my delay. Year end and a surgery interrupted everything! Old man here!!!
ok...I am a total novice at all this but have done okay getting to this point. I have one array actually working. 7, 305 Watt and one 320 watt panel. 4S2P. It is actually working. However the larger array which is not working is 9. 320 Watt and 1 350 Watt panels. 5S2P. The PV on the display does not show a PV connection. 1. Is there something in the inverter programming that could stop it from being shown? One step at a time. 2. So to test the voltage at the inverter, do I take a clamp meter, make sure the PV disconnect is on and clamp the positive wire running into the inverter?

If there is a disconnect switch, with it open, check voltage of string. Should be Voc of string.
With disconnect switch closed, check voltage again. Should still be Voc (or Vmp if inverter operating).

Sometimes people see 1V to 2V. That indicates reverse polarity, and you got lucky the inverter has a diode to clamp voltage; if it doesn't inverter gets killed.

Check voltage at inverter. Does it also show Voc? if zero, could be an open circuit.

Clamp ammeter is only for current, when current flowing. if array is shorted, would show Isc. If two parallel strings, good to compare them.

Back