diy solar

diy solar

Solar Battery Fire Protection Ideas?

patsfan1986

Thank you in advance your time and advice.

I'm always fearful of house fires so I'm looking for more proactive ways to build a "as much as I can" fireproof setup.

When it comes to the battery bank ( 4 12v 200ah hooked up in series).... I was thinking of putting 3 of these fire extinguisher balls about 6" above the batteries. The batteries are enclosed in a metal storage tool chest. I believe they explode within 2-3 seconds of being exposed to 320 degrees Fahrenheit

Thoughts? Will these even make a difference ?

Thank you

Attachments

• fireextball.png
    fireextball.png
    355.7 KB · Views: 9
You need to contain the fire for an extended period of time. You won't be able to put out the fire burning in the batteries. Will the fire retardant work over an extended period of time? Walls/ceiling cracking exposing surfaces to the fire?

I doubt they will help much for battery fires. I was going to get one to put over my other equipment, but after watching some youtube video tests (fails), I decided against it.

I recall a thread where someone used sandbags on a grate over the batteries, so the bag would burn to dump sand (same principal as those balloons). Not sure how well that would work either, but if anything would be fairly cheap.

Save your money, these things are useless. Lifepo4 chemistry won't simply combust. Yes a punctured cell can generate heat but no flame and throwing water on them just creates a lot of harmful smoke. If your wiring Fuses etc are set properly the potential for any fire is low. Electrical fires are almost all fue to incorrect fusing and wiring. Get yourself a lithex extinguisher and keep it accessible. Place smoke alarms in the vicinity of your setup.

Thank you in advance your time and advice.

I'm always fearful of house fires so I'm looking for more proactive ways to build a "as much as I can" fireproof setup.

When it comes to the battery bank ( 4 12v 200ah hooked up in series).... I was thinking of putting 3 of these fire extinguisher balls about 6" above the batteries. The batteries are enclosed in a metal storage tool chest. I believe they explode within 2-3 seconds of being exposed to 320 degrees Fahrenheit

Thank you
It would depend on what type of battery chemistry you have.
If LFP it's not necessary.
If anything else, I would reconsider their location.

I have fire blankets close by and of course a smoke alarm in close proximity. At the very least the blankets will buy time and keep a fire at least contained for a time.

Here's a related thread from the "Up In Smoke" subforum.

Back