diy solar

diy solar

Fire suppression

SolarHead

50% of people are below average. (Its a statistic)
What do you all think of something like this in an electrical room that has inverter(s) and batteries ?

I like the concept. Might be set a little low for Texas. Closed environment can exceed 135F with solar gain alone.

If the room is fully sealed, it will work. But all your equipment will be toast.
A non-sealed room... the poweder will go everywhere, causing more damage.

In case of a accidental release, also. Its powder, and that will basicly destroy most of the electronics due to its corrosive properties.

It will kill the fire and prevent it to cause further damage, but its highly likely you have to replace the inverters/bms and so on (or it will fail eventually)

My thoughts is if there's a fire, the equipment might be toast anyway (with or without fire suppression), or at least damaged enough that you would no longer trust it. My goal would be to save my house and maybe everyone sleeping in it. Of course the accidental discharge would be bad though. I looked at the "clean agent" systems but they are very expensive. I do have an AC/DC smoke detector in the basement electrical/mechanical room that if it goes off, it sounds the rest of them upstairs.

If you've got a decently sealed room, you could probably do with an appropriately sized cylinder of CO2 and a thermal actuated valve. Should check whether that's sufficient, as I think some battery chemistries may supply their own oxygen.

On another thread one guy chimed in and say his fire suppression was "fuses". I was like yep, good point.

On another thread one guy chimed in and say his fire suppression was "fuses". I was like yep, good point.
Prevention is an excellent idea, but wasn't exactly on topic.
Sometimes I find it difficult to focus on a single aspect of a system because everything is intertwined.

What do you all think of something like this in an electrical room that has inverter(s) and batteries ?
If your equipment room is sealed or a separate building You could try Halon or even CO2 with some type of thermal actuator.

It would kill the fire but not the equipment.

I have seriously considered doing that for mine.

Just haven’t “gotten roundtuit “ yet..

If your equipment room is sealed or a separate building You could try Halon or even CO2 with some type of thermal actuator.

It would kill the fire but not the equipment.

I have seriously considered doing that for mine.

Just haven’t “gotten roundtuit “ yet..

Be warned: Carbon dioxide is a good idea, but halons are another matter. Neither fire suppression agent will stop thermal runaway; they will only suppress secondary fires. Worse, when exposed to flame temperatures, halons, being fluorinated, decompose into nasty byproducts including HF acid and carbonyl fluoride gases. some halons (1211) also generate phosgene (carbonyl chloride). These gases pose can cause serious injury when inhaled, and HF will destroy electronics (and optics).

Be warned: Carbon dioxide is a good idea, but halons are another matter. Neither fire suppression agent will stop thermal runaway; they will only suppress secondary fires. Worse, when exposed to flame temperatures, halons, being fluorinated, decompose into nasty byproducts including HF acid and carbonyl fluoride gases. some halons (1211) also generate phosgene (carbonyl chloride). These gases pose can cause serious injury when inhaled, and HF will destroy electronics (and optics).
Nice first post hodgmo, scared the poop out of me but WELCOME to the party anyway. :)

It was the first 2 that popped into my head.

Nothing can stop thermal runaway but at least the other equipment wouldn’t be damaged from fire.

CO2 is probably easier to get and to handle anyway.

Halon or similar has been used successfully to stop a fire in a lithium battery room.
Trouble was, the fire was just hiding and waiting for someone to open the door, so it could escape.

I've selected "Halotron" for a lab I was in before. Another facility where I worked used Ansul Clean Guard, which I since bought for my own electronics lab. Mine is a normal manually operated extinguisher.

Has anyone checked to see if their homeowners insurance covers fire in the event it's caused by solar systems/batteries ? I dont know if theres any difference in coverage with ground mount arrays versus roof mount but I imagine there is when it comes to insurance coverage. A little off topic but not really if you think insurance and fire.

Once you see the price of Halon fire extinguisher systems you will typically have second thoughts.

True, although a consideration is the price of your toys.

Mine cost 5 figures (msrp 6 figures). For some people, their all-in-one cost less than any of these extinguishers.
Dry chemical and water hose would be lowest cost way to save the house. And prevention comes first.

(Anybody notice the price of things have gone up lately?)

Back