diy solar

diy solar

Solar Curmudgeon Resurrection of "Inherited" Systems vs Rip It Out and Build New

JunglePower

I simply posted this thread to get opinions regarding us poor slobs who "inherit" old systems and try to keep them dependable.

As I watched a new neighbor from Califorlornia spend in excess of $60k for a brand new off-grid system, I realized the $8k I spent (+shipping) to re-power TWO old systems was well spent by simply discarding (giving away) a ton of FLA batteries, Rolls, Trojan etc..

Storage battery technology has been advancing faster than I can shop and study. I am fortunate to have purchased/inherited systems with quality controllers and inverter/chargers, the rental is all Outback, the home in which we reside is Xantrex and Morningstar. 20yo QUALITY components.

My personal economics direct me to support what is here with the best I can do with replacement power storage. I am pleased to say the 20yo Xantrex 48v inverter/charger with Morningstar controllers has provided excellent service. The 24v system with Outback components in the other house are fine unless the tenants try to melt all my new BB1002s.

I have been in the car business as a trainee, apprentice (M-B), Volvo and a SAAB dealer since 1969. I know ALMOST enough to keep these systems up and running. At 70+ years old, I have NO intention of replacing all the various components with a "One box does all" solar controller, inverter/charger and Bluetooth communications. Being totally isolated and off-grid (no government/corporate power company) I do not feel secure in ripping out all the perfectly functioning controllers, inverters of well-renowned history and putting in some new, fancy, all-in-one system with a bunch of blinking lights and meters.

As I retired, I was linked to BMW and M-B via the internet and licensed to diagnose, code and program their system "modules" (four in ONE door). I do not need the stress as a retiree of worrying about one little chip or board failing in, let's say, an EG4 system.

I only have a few years left here on my soul's field-trip, so I strive to make the best with what I've got! When I fabricate new cables, I do as M-B did. Each is tinned, crimped and filled with solder ( I don't think the copper is as it was in the past).

Using the latest (five years ago) LiFePo4 batteries has been a real boon for these OLD systems . These are not "Set it and Forget it" systems by any means. I have to clean the bat-shit off my eight BB here every so often. The six in the rental were abused but I think I saved a few of them. It's been overcast and rainy for the past few days but I just looked at my volt-meter in the kitchen and my 48v system is showing 54.6vdc which is above BB's charge minimum.

My Califorlornia neighbors burst the engine of their diesel generator trying to keep their "state of the art" $60k system going.

With all respect to those of us here who can afford the latest & greatest, I love reading about the features and performance here, on YT with Will and the others. But like an old, classic car, I want to keep the old stuff functioning............................and when it dies, I still want to have individual components, not one magic box that does all.

I agree and support the new systems, if you have a 24v system, use 24v batteries. Same with 12 or 48. Avoid series battery systems. Yes, busbars are great when designing new systems.

Perhaps...................someday!

Many thanks to Will Prowse and the rest of you for hearing me out. This is a VALUABLE resource for our "Electry-Sol" (this is the name of a respected solar power in business for over 25 years here, a father & son operation) advocates.

Thanks folks for hearing me out...................?
Maybe I should change my title to "Solar Curmudgeon".

Back