diy solar

diy solar

Solar Edge inverter issues

Stormy2

I live near Tin Can Bay in SE Queensland Australia. In May 2022, I had a 15k Solar Edge system installed on our shed, the system comprises of 36 panels with 18 micro inverters capabale of producing 13.32kw of energy into the grid, the system has been restricted to 10kw peak back into the grid, at my request, so I'm not penalised by AGL so I can receive the Max amount for the plan I'm on.
In the 2 or so yrs I've had the system going I've been plaged with problems every 5 months or so. Firstly the Hardware card in the inverter died, which took about a month to be replaced, then the consumption meter died & had to be replaced, again another month but it took Solar Edge a week of phone calls to get the consumption meter phase rotation corrected, then a few months later the WiFi card in the inverter died, again another month for the card to arrive from overseas, then sent to me, & then installed, which was a whole lot of trouble because the new card wouldn't see the WiFi modem without reprogramming the modem. More recently the Inverter has totally died, which only took 3 days to arrive & has now been replaced & again the consumption meter has also died so now I'm waiting for the new meter to arrive. If & when the system gets up & running again as soon as it dies again, which it will, I will have the whole Solar Edge system removed & change to a Victron system. I have in the past few years rewired quite a few caravan Solar systems & changed them to Victron systems, with great success I might add. I do realise these are off grid systems but have not had an issue with the Victron gear so that's good enough fir me & that's the system I will be using.
I would advise anyone else to avoid Solar Edge at all costs, they need to get their act together & improve the reliability of their systems.

Feels like this should be in the complaint corner.

Also, if you've got a Solar Edge system you probably don't have micro inverters too, unless you installed two systems from different brands.

Feels like this should be in the complaint corner.

Also, if you've got a Solar Edge system you probably don't have micro inverters too, unless you installed two systems from different brands.
He will have the solaredge optimizers.

the system comprises of 36 panels with 18 micro inverters capabale of producing 13.32kw of energy into the grid, the system has been restricted to 10kw peak back into the grid,
When/if there is a 3.32kW excess being produced and not sent to grid, is it sent to a dump load or are the micro inverters scaled back? Scaling back is often done by frequency shifting but not all equipment does this.

My understanding is that if this power has nowhere setup to go safely, the power ends up going somewhere.
Is it possible that this is the root cause of your breakdowns?

He will have the solaredge optimizers.
For sure, but those are required with the solar edge inverter. No reason to call them out specifically. Plus the most solar edge optimizers in the US are one per panel. The OP has a 2:1 ratio, much less common here.

There's something unusual about this install. Solar Edge components fail, sure. Possibly even a bigger failure rate than other tier one, grid tie inverters. But the failure rate on this install is excessive.

I'm it even sure I understand what a "Hardware card" is, but the failures on this install are rough regardless. Solar Edge does not get much love here anyways. Most everyone here installs cheap import inverters or off grid capable tier one battery inverters. Not many vanilla grid tie installs.

A better place for you complaints would be with your installer and directly to Solar Edge.

Back