diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generator as heart of van electrical. Critique.

StellarOverland

Hello all,

I am using a Bluetti AC200Max as the heart of my van build electrical. The idea was to simplify the build so that I could get on the road sooner. The unit has all the power that I "need", but as its not designed for this application I am running into some limitations.

Surprisingly I haven't found much guidance on a semi permanent install of a solar generator in a van. What I have found, I don't like.

The simplest way to use this equipment is to charge it with an extension cord to my house before a trip (perhaps with a shore power receptacle to make the connection more tidy). But that isn't practical. I need to be able to charge it at an acceptable rate, and distribute power without plugging in extension cords.

Distributing DC power for the the fan, ceiling lights, and diesel heater necessitates connecting a DC Subpanel to the 30A DC Output (aviation plug). Easy enough.

Distributing AC Power could just be done with the outlets on the unit, however the unit will be on the left side of the van, and the galley on the right.
Additionally, I am designing this system so that in the future I could replace it with a different unit, different brand, or a full Victron/Renogy system.
So, I would rather distribute the AC power from an otherwise unused outlet on the unit and keep the rest of them open for random item use.

Charging the unit at an acceptable rate also requires me to build out more system. The unit comes supplied with a cigarette charging cord but for obvious reasons this is less than ideal (slow). The unit is capable of "dual charging" using its AC In (8A AC/Wall Charger) and DC In (aviation plug, 15A) in ports.
The only way that I can see to utilize this while driving is to use the DC in port for solar and the AC In port for alternator via a inverter.

I mocked up a diagram.

I am confused about Grounding.
I have some reading to do about electrical theory for sure, because I don't understand "phases", neutral, and grounding. That said, I am hoping someone can help me for now so that I can continue working on the build. The unit itself is meant to be used indoors without grounding. Sort of like a battery pack for your phone. But, I am building an electrical system around it for charging and distribution. So that system needs to be grounded.

I have grounded the Inverter, Shore Power, the DC distribution box, and the outlet that connects the shore power or Inverter to the unit.
Is that enough?

The diagram isnt fully labeled, and I used grey dashed lines to denote a connection without specifying wire size

I also am questioning my approach. The idea of using this item was to simplify the build and reduce cost. I got this unit as refurbrished for about 1350$ but it arrived inoperative. I had to return it and the customer service experience was .... alarming. The advantage of a unit like this is to be able to plug and play, but the limitations and desire for usability (charging and distribution) + the concerns about relability and customer service has me thinking that I should just built a basic system from components. Anyway, for now I am pressing onwards. I am still awaiting a confirmation email from Bluetti for my extended 4 year warranty.

Attachments

• T1NSystemE.png
    T1NSystemE.png
    568.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
concerns about relability and customer service has me thinking that I should just built a basic system from components
If you do a component system it would likely not cost much different for double the power, though at $1300 the price differential isn’t as dramatic.
Your ‘basic system from components’ will not be a compromise it will be an upgrade for the same money.

Yea,

I can see why there isn't much guidance to going half and half, as once you start adding things you are taking away from the advantage of an all in one system.

I might downgrade to the system below for now to get up and running, then build out a real system later.

Attachments

• T1N_Simple.png
    T1N_Simple.png
    485.1 KB · Views: 12
I don't know much about this kind of solar generator, but for simplicity and charging capability, I think I'd start with figuring out how much solar panel wattage you can fit on the roof. That simplifies things because once the panels are installed and wired in, the power is just there. No fussing around with portable panels or finding a place to plug in.

Obviously, depending on where you live and whether you have other plans for the van roof, like cargo, that might not work well for you, but it seems like a good starting point. How much power can you get from the van roof?

Bluetti’s CS is really bad. Seems like they are swamped with bad units. I see far too many reports of higher end units not working. Hate to say it but I would probably go the route of a couple batteries, a 1500W inverter and an MPPT for your solar. You could add a DC to DC for charging from the alternator. Decent quality 12V 100Ah batteries are now under $400. $300 is kind of the line between junk and random luck.

If you're looking for something neat and tidy and it meets your needs, I don't see a problem. I have no experience with these "solar generator" thingys though.

If you're stuck for dc-dc charging options, run an inverter from your alternator with the charger for it and take the conversion/inversion inefficiencies in your stride.

have no experience with these "solar generator" thingys though.
Me either.

But observing the few irl who have them they are usually great- at first. Then they are fussing and fiddling, always trying to move stuff around, running out of batteries.

Built-in component systems in general are trouble-free and can most often be installed discreetly in otherwise inconvenient places so there’s no ergonomic impacts to open space.

I’m jaded on manufactured suitcase battery/inverter/chargers I know. I just don’t have the monetary tolerance, hate the inconvenient placement issues, and especially compared to installed LiFePo batteries the relatively low capacity and high cost of scaling up. Never mind the plethora of wires and cords that all have to wind up in one place to be useful. It makes no sense to me and then I can’t escape the cost.

Built-in component systems in general are trouble-free...
There ya go. I'm a huge fan of simplicity and ease of use, and once you get a component system installed, you've got both those things.

It seems to me like the solar generators might be great for occasional camping trips. Set up your tent, your generator, and your portable panels, and you have power in the woods.

Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking this through, I think, as was said, that these units are great at the lower end. 1-3 day trips, Car camping, etc.

They can be "hacked" for a van build, but their cost and limitations quickly enter an area where you might as well build a system from scratch.

My last diagram with simple 1000W inverter and a DC distribution hub would work for my needs and I would have stayed with that plan if it weren't for my horrible customer service experience so far (first unit was new and arrived with errors and had to be shipped back, new unit same thing (different errrors, had to be shipped back). From first order, to receiving, trouble shooting with CS, mailing it back, waiting for it to get there, then them mailing me another unit, then that not working, back with CS, etc, its been Nov 12 -Jan 12.

With an experience like that, I just cant use it for the heart of my build. I need relability and the ability to repair/replace components on the road.

I could try another brand, but even with good customer service it doesn't solve the issues inherent to the design of an all in one unit.

Here are some diagrams you could use if you plan on doing what I decided not to do.

A few options here, respecting the limitations of the AC200Max imput/charging ability.

1 - Single Alternator Charging with Shore Power
2- Dual Alternator (AC IN provided by the 1000 Watt alternator (could easily use 700 to save a few bucks), and DC IN provided from the battery.
3-A very simple set up, with 15A shore power connection (so you dont have to lug the thing in and out of the van to charge), and a DC distribution box to power heater, Led Lights, etc.
4- an option with solar. keep in mind the AC200Max has a minimum dc input amperage so make sure you panel it correctly.

Hope this helps someone.

As for me and my needs I have decided to build out a system from individual components.

Attachments

• Bluetti_Alternator.png
    Bluetti_Alternator.png
    436.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Bluetti_Dual_Alternator.png
    Bluetti_Dual_Alternator.png
    554.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Bluetti_Simple.png
    Bluetti_Simple.png
    671.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Bluetti_Solar.png
    Bluetti_Solar.png
    570.9 KB · Views: 7
Here are some diagrams you could use if you plan on doing what I decided not to do.

Reminds me I need to hook up my DC block some day. I want to add some air filtration and ventilation to my vehicle, and 12v fans seem like a good choice for that.

Back