diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generator vs. Battery Booster Pack (Jackery vs. Canadian Tire)

Porkpie

Hi folks, I would like to expand our earthquake kit with a little electricity for devices and maybe flashlight battery charging.

Jackery and the like are a pricy option, but I am not looking to power my campground. What about automotive booster packs?

Some booster packs come with one or more USB plugs, and have a DC in for solar recharging. Even better, some of them can be easily found on Craigslist!

Is this a crackpot idea?
Is this an 80/20, where I can get 80% of the value of a Jackery for 20% of the cost?

If this is not a crackpot idea, what sort of booster pack specs should I look for? I am not sure how to compare battery specs and run times.

Thank you!

I hope the admins will look kindly on me. Since this post got not response here in the Beginner's Corner I added it to the main discussion group. See that post here, and I hope it gets some attention!

Have you done the math?

You could help by giving the exact specs of both devices that you are referring to. I personally have no idea what the booster pack has for power potential, but my guess that its designed for short high amp output. Like a car battery, it is not designed for long deep discharge. It will work short term but you will shorten it's life. The Jackery and deep discharge lead acid are designed for deeper discharge and the LiFePO4 has even better deep discharge cycle life than lead acid, which ideally should not be below 50% discharge.

To figure it out, just do the math. How many watts will you need x how many hours? Then take the power potential of your power unit, again in watts and the specs should say, X WHrs, meaning X number of watts for 1 Hour. Then compare your needed watt hours with the power unit rated watt hour capacity. If you need more watts for 1 hour then the unit can supply, then you need a larger watt hour capacity power unit. Scale your use or need up or down with doing the math of watts needed or used over time.

In the beginner resource section is a tutorial and PDF form called an Energy Audit. Just fill in the blanks.

Also, do a web search for the "Battery. University" website, which discusses every battery type.

Have you done the math?

You could help by giving the exact specs of both devices that you are referring to. I personally have no idea what the booster pack has for power potential, but my guess that its designed for short high amp output. Like a car battery, it is not designed for long deep discharge. It will work short term but you will shorten it's life. The Jackery and deep discharge lead acid are designed for deeper discharge and the LiFePO4 has even better deep discharge cycle life than lead acid, which ideally should not be below 50% discharge.

To figure it out, just do the math. How many watts will you need x how many hours? Then take the power potential of your power unit, again in watts and the specs should say, X WHrs, meaning X number of watts for 1 Hour. Then compare your needed watt hours with the power unit rated watt hour capacity. If you need more watts for 1 hour then the unit can supply, then you need a larger watt hour capacity power unit. Scale your use or need up or down with doing the math of watts needed or used over time.

In the beginner resource section is a tutorial and PDF form called an Energy Audit. Just fill in the blanks.

Also, do a web search for the "Battery. University" website, which discusses every battery type.
Thank you so much for those links.

I have not done the math at all because I was not even sure how to compare apples to apples. I am getting similar commentary on the post in the general area, with suggestions that I look at a Milk Crate Generator.

Thanks for your guidance.

Back