diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Circuit Breakers

Larry S

I'm using 4 solar panels in series with an Isc of 5.7 amps. Is it a "problem" to use a 20 A breaker?

No, in series the current stay the same and the voltages are cumulative.

In parallel it's the opposite; currents are cumulative and voltage stay the same.

Personally, I wouldn't bother fusing it, just make sure your PV cable is rated for Isc.

Isc is the MAXIMUM current that could ever flow in the cable, even if were shorted. Why fuse it? I could fart more than 5.7A.

Isolator switch, yes, and if this is what your using the breaker for then OK.

Edit: Added isolator switch clarification.

No, in series the current stay the same and the voltages are cumulative.

In parallel it's the opposite; currents are cumulative and voltage stay the same.
Which is different from resistance for a speaker circuit.
Two 8 ohm speakers in Series is a 16 oh load to the amp.
Two 8 ohm speakers in Parallel is a 4 ohm load to the amp. You can carry this out, too. 3 at 8 ohms is 2.67 ohms, 4 at 8 ohms is 2 ohms.

Last edited:
Which is different from resistance for a speaker circuit.
Two 8 ohm speakers in Series is a 16 oh load to the amp.
Two 8 ohm speakers in Parallel is a 4 ohm load to the amp. You can carry this out, too. 3 at 8 ohms is 2.67 ohms, 4 at 8 ohms is 2 ohms.
OFFS, Will... I was watching this video Will made. At the 4:44 mark he has twisted the leads of two large resistors together and using them to dischagre a cell in a battery.. By doing that he has cut the resistance in half. He should have put them in series.. Even Will makes mistakes... LOL..

I don't think it was a mistake. He probably wanted to discharge the cell quicker and to do that you need a higher current, so a lower resistance.

I don't think it was a mistake. He probably wanted to discharge the cell quicker and to do that you need a higher current, so a lower resistance.
Like I've said in other threads. I've been out of the electronics/electrical theory game for a long time. I was thinking more resistance would use more power, faster. Most of the stuff I've done in the last 40 years was either hooking things, like radios or lights up, or finding a fault in an existing circuit. I've probably forgotten 87% of what I learned in school, from lack of use.

Sunlight based boards are rapidly getting one of the most famous ways for the normal property holder to diminish their reliance on customary vitality sources, lessen their effect on the earth and eventually get a good deal on their electric bills. As this great vitality source turns out to be progressively open, through decreased sun based boards cost, various sun-powered installers, and motivating force programs, more mortgage holders are thinking about it as a genuinely feasible alternative with regards to giving vitality to their homes. I'll discuss a couple of ways that you can reply to my posted answer.
But then you have State regulators and the Power Companies that lobby them and you end up with a law. 1. your solar must be grid tied and 2. you can't use your solar power when the grid is down. That is what happened in Florida after Hurricane Irma. I remember reading about it back then and went and found a link about it.

https://interestingengineering.com/...ng-solar-power-in-aftermath-of-hurricane-irma

Back