diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel cleaning

tonyg

Hi fellow solar enthusiasts!
We had a high pollen ? period here in the UK and everything was covered in yellow dust. I knew about the pollen period, but had no idea it can significantly decrease production until I noticed the numbers being quite a bit lower than expected.
20230602_122314.jpg

I noticed in peak sun about 100W less for a 400W panel. I know this since I cleaned a few that I could reach and checked the live production.

For those cleaned, I've only sprayed them with water with the pressure washer on the soft setting - more or less like a hose, with no direct pressure applied to them.

What are people's preferences when it comes to cleaning panels?

I could add this TLA 4 extension to my Karcher pressure washer, but wondering if it is a good way of doing it?

Cheers

How far away is it? I use a brush for RV's that reaches about 16' on my ground mount. I spray with water EARLY in the morning and let it sit for 20 min. Then spray each set of panels with cleaner and give it a good scrub and spray it off. Mine like to collect along the bottom edge and grow up to become a sticky mess from all the pine pollen. Yours looks just like loose pollen and could be sprayed off.

I have a soft brush on a long pole that sprays water through the brush head. It does make a difference when they are coated with dust or pollen.

Long handled hose brush , washing up liquid , hose to rinse off ,

and a bucket of elbow grease

Last edited:
Nice colour of sky there :) Doesn't look like you'll get a downpour to wash them anytime soon... Kärcher accessory is £££ ! Do you have enough water pressure to spray the remaining panels from the ground or ladder? Mine are ground mount, so only need a squeegy ?‍?

Im uk based and had the same issue with my roof panels. So i put the garden hose on full pressure and with intermittent squirts, i managed to creat enough pressure to reach the panels and give them a soaking.

But, they do say if you live in a hard water area, do not use tap water, as it can leave calcium deposits on the panels, which is harder to get off than the pollen. Lucky im in a soft water area and mine was nice and shiney after a good blasting. I was soaked afterwards though lol

But, they do say if you live in a hard water area, do not use tap water, as it can leave calcium deposits on the panels, which is harder to get off than the pollen. Lucky im in a soft water area and mine was nice and shiney after a good blasting. I was soaked afterwards though lol
Hard water here, so that's not really an option, but I don't think I've got a problem with pollen. The people who go around cleaning windows with the poles use softener in their water to prevent leaving marks.

Hard water here, so that's not really an option, but I don't think I've got a problem with pollen. The people who go around cleaning windows with the poles use softener in their water to prevent leaving marks.
That would be my worry. Hard water build up would be fun to get off the panels up on the roof. If its wiped off before it dries it should not be a problem.

I just used the leaf blower on mine, pollen here in Chicago is crazy too. It doesn't work as well as water but much easier. We have well water, so I clean ours when it rains. I have a floor cleaning pad on a telescoping pole.

I use an 18 unger squeegee/mop combo and a 30 foot pole. To spray them down i use a ryobi portable pressure washer.

I use a squeegee/pad combo after spraying the panel down with a water/detergent mix. 1 quart of water and about five drops of dishwashing detergent. Mine are mounted flat on the roof of my RV so I get a lot of accumulated crud in the corners.

Thank you all, I love a good discussion on this forum... almost like a pub evening, except we're missing the beer and burger.

Summer's over here in the UK :ROFLMAO:, the rain came back and did a much better job than I did trying to reach those panels on the house.

diy solar

diy solar
Back