diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel DC Breaker Connections

PerpetualBlackout

Hi all,

I've seen some back and forth on this subject and just wanted some clarity before doing something dangerous.

I want a DC breaker to disconnect my solar array from the charge controller and provide some kind of protection in the event some thing happens to the panels.

I was looking at this: https://www.amazon.com/smseace-Mini...able-System-FCY8-63-C63-2P/dp/B09B7FPNNR?th=1

There's a small diagram on it that I imagine shows the wiring configuration, but I don't know how to interpret it.

My plan is to connect the solar panel cables to the top and the wires to the charger through the bottom. Positive to positive and negative to negative.

Is this correct?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• C50.jpg
    C50.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 10
  • diagram.png
    diagram.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 10
I want a DC breaker to disconnect my solar array from the charge controller and provide some kind of protection in the event some thing happens to the panels.
The problem with a polarized MCB is that it only breaks the DC arc when the DC current is in a certain direction.
So if you want to use a polarized MCB to disconnect the array from the CC, you must connect it making the assumption that current flows from the array + to the CC + in the circuit. If you connect it wrong and attempt to disconnect it on-load it is likely to burn out.

Now, you would also like this device to offer some kind of protection in the event something happens to the panels. I am not sure what that "something" is? But if it involves current flow from the direction of the CC towards the panels, this device will burn out if it attempts to trip.

If the MCB is based on a thermal trip mechanism (and it likely is), it will attempt to trip at a certain current threshold in either direction. However, it is only capable of breaking DC current in one direction ( as marked). Therefore a polarised device connected (conventionally as marked) cannot offer simultaneous upstream and downstream protection.
It should not suitable to be used when a possible current source is both upstream and downstream a fuse or a non-directional DC MCB is better suited.

Back