diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel grounding questions

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
1. Some grounding lugs don’t have the “teeth” to bite into the frame. I understand you can scuff the frame to remove the anodized coating. How much scuffing are we talking?

2. My array is connected to an IMO dc connect switch, there are no dc breakers. Does this mean grounding is pointless? I.e there is no breaker to trip if current is on the panels, or frames. Should I also add a dc breaker to the array circuit in addition to,the,disconnect switch?

1. Some grounding lugs don’t have the “teeth” to bite into the frame. I understand you can scuff the frame to remove the anodized coating. How much scuffing are we talking?
Just clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad.
2. My array is connected to an IMO dc connect switch, there are no dc breakers. Does this mean grounding is pointless? I.e there is no breaker to trip if current is on the panels, or frames.
No, grounding is to protect people from any possible faults (So a human body does not become the best path to the ground). Its not just for arc-fault circuit interruption. To be compliant with NEC you are actually supposed to run a ground wire with the PV wire all the way back to the main panel so all equipment is equal "potential".
Should I also add a dc breaker to the array circuit in addition to,the,disconnect switch?
Its not a bad idea (I do), but not required by NEC until you have 3 strings or more combined to one PV circuit.

Just clean it up with a Scotchbrite pad.

No, grounding is to protect people from any possible faults (So a human body does not become the best path to the ground). Its not just for arc-fault circuit interruption. To be compliant with NEC you are actually supposed to run a ground wire with the PV wire all the way back to the main panel so all equipment is equal "potential".

Its not a bad idea (I do), but not required by NEC until you have 3 strings or more combined to one PV circuit.

I am running an EGC with the pv circuit. But since it’s dc, I wondered how it was a safety feature if there’s no breaker to trip like there is on the ac side.

So that anodized,coating isn’t thick then if a quick scrub with a scotch brite will do.

I only will have one string of 4 panels. But I can certainly put in a breaker

Just checking out Amazon for grounding lugs. Someone in the reviews,says you need 2 lugs per panel? I thought it was only one per panel?

diy solar

diy solar
Back