diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel mounts

Mars, what van make is that? The mounts and panels appear very high off the roof of the van in that photo.

I have decided to go with the AM Solar Stainless Steel mounts. But allow you to remove the panels for maintenance if needed. These mounts will also allow you to tilt your panels as needed and if you desire when camping. They are a little more expensive but worth it because you have more options in relation to mounting and optional tilting...
Taping anything besides MAYBE something like a small, plastic, lightweight, low profile, sunroof air deflector is dangerous to other people on the highway.

Taping anything besides MAYBE something like a small, plastic, lightweight, low profile, sunroof air deflector is dangerous to other people on the highway.
Offgriddle, thank you for your opinion. I totally understand your concern. But 3M VHB tape has been proven safe for multiple uses including solar panel installations. One thing that will help is that each panel has two 10 gauge. wires connected to the panel and if the panel in theory comes loose it will not just fly loose and head for someones vehicle. I will probably use a thin "tether cable" to anchor the panel mounts to (each other.) So if one comes loose it will also have to break the bond of the other existing mounts before it would theoretically fly off behind the vehicle and is highly unlikely based on research by 3M. The thing you need to realize is that if you have a fear of flying panels, then anyone in front of you on the highway that has solar panels can have them start flying and you probably wouldn't want to drive your vehicle with that type of anxiety. I suppose you haven't seen the video where "Will Prowse" himself mounted his solar panels with white ABS plastic mounts and uses just construction adhesive in a tube to hold them down to the white rubber roof of his Class C RV. Which is no different than 3M VHB tape. Safe Travels Offgriddle...

I have decided to go with the AM Solar Stainless Steel mounts. But allow you to remove the panels for maintenance if needed. These mounts will also allow you to tilt your panels as needed and if you desire when camping. They are a little more expensive but worth it because you have more options in relation to mounting and optional tilting...

Offgriddle, thank you for your opinion. I totally understand your concern. But 3M VHB tape has been proven safe for multiple uses including solar panel installations. One thing that will help is that each panel has two 10 gauge. wires connected to the panel and if the panel in theory comes loose it will not just fly loose and head for someones vehicle. I will probably use a thin "tether cable" to anchor the panel mounts to (each other.) So if one comes loose it will also have to break the bond of the other existing mounts before it would theoretically fly off behind the vehicle and is highly unlikely based on research by 3M. The thing you need to realize is that if you have a fear of flying panels, then anyone in front of you on the highway that has solar panels can have them start flying and you probably wouldn't want to drive your vehicle with that type of anxiety. I suppose you haven't seen the video where "Will Prowse" himself mounted his solar panels with white ABS plastic mounts and uses just construction adhesive in a tube to hold them down to the white rubber roof of his Class C RV. Which is no different than 3M VHB tape. Safe Travels Offgriddle...
Oh My, did our Will do such a thing?! Don't tape or glue stuff like solar panels to your vehicles, please bolt or strap them on securely, pretty please with sugar on it?! Thank You. Peace

Not a fiberglass top. The roof is EPDM.

Mars, the gentleman in the video his name is (Tom) aka HOBOTECH on YouTube, he states in several of his videos that the top is fiberglass. I have no idea what EPDM even is. But Tom stated the reason he choose 3M VHB was because he did not want to drill holes in the fiberglass because it tends to fracture under stress. So if it is actually EPDM you can confirm with him. Thanks for the info.

Oh My, did our Will do such a thing?! Don't tape or glue stuff like solar panels to your vehicles, please bolt or strap them on securely, pretty please with sugar on it?! Thank You. Peace
Sorry there is no place to strap on the transit roof unless I use more 3M tape, and I don't want to use a rack that needs bolting. Peace and goodwill to you sir.

And the Lord saidith unto thee, (and I'm quoting loosely), "let anyone who harms the body of another by taping sht on to their vehicles or by otherwise being careless dummass's, have their aforesaid dummassiths righteously handed to them in a basket". Amen.
Offgriddle, I can tell you for a fact the Lord never said that. God Bless you.

Offgriddle, I can tell you for a fact the Lord never said that. God Bless you.
LMAO, I said loosely quoted gimme a break. And speaking of loosely, don't forget, let us not make another person pay the price with their physical self because we were too stubborn to properly secure accessories to moving vehicles. Amen

..."Will Prowse" himself mounted his solar panels with white ABS plastic mounts and uses just construction adhesive in a tube to hold them down to the white rubber roof of his Class C RV. Which is no different than 3M VHB tape.
Wow, that is not good.

RV roofs are commonly built by gluing an EPDM membrane to a plywood roof decking using Poly Vinyl Acetate (PVA) glue. Since PVA is not waterproof, it will delaminate if it gets some moisture in it (like from a roof leak). Another potential failure point is EPDM is commonly coated with an acrylic coating that may peal off, creating another potential weak point.

Mars

Key words “safety tethers” if done right nothing is sailing off your roof.
They are put in place for ANY failures. Even drilled mounts fail. VHB mounts or any other panel attachments on your roof that is subject to high winds during transport. A very inexpensive and very easy method for everyone’s piece O mind. ?

LMAO, I said loosely quoted gimme a break. And speaking of loosely, don't forget, let us not make another person pay the price with their physical self because we were too stubborn to properly secure accessories to moving vehicles. Amen
Offgriddle, perhaps you forgotten. Many that die in this life. Will pay the price. And it will have nothing to do with the way there solar panels have been mounted. ?✝️✔️

Offgriddle, perhaps you forgotten. Many that die in this life. Will pay the price. And it will have nothing to do with the way there solar panels have been mounted. ?✝✔
There are thousands of religious practices all claiming to be correct. Neither one of us can prove or disprove anything regarding the possibility of life after life, so that leaves us with the personal choice to either have faith or not. Personally, there's at best case and at worst case a 50/50 chance of the existance of a life after life and that what we do in the here and now matters in any possible hereafter. Those are pretty good odds and the wise will choose accordingly. ~ Please don't glue or tape objects to your vehicle that are large and heavy enough to dislodge at traveling speed and harm others. ~ Even though our moderators are ok with continuing our off topic discussion of religious connotation, and because I choose to love, learn and teach rather than hate and admonish, I believe that it would be more considerate to the other members of the forum to continue this discussion on the personal matter of faith and spirituality using the forum's personal message feature and I would be more than happy to do so. Amen.

Last edited:
After seeing a few YouTube videos advocating the mounting of solar panels with VHB tape, I wrote to 3M and asked them if they would recommend this type of mount using their VHB tape. Their answer was a resounding "NO". You need a strong mechanical mount due to the strong forces caused by wind. Just think of the gusts when a semi goes by you. It will rip the panels right off the roof. I have heard people say they saw solar panel lying on the side of the road where they just "blew" off from a tape installation. The panels can kill someone. For everyone's safety, do not mount panels on a moving vehicle with any kind of tape or glue. Use metal mounts with solid attachment points.
'

There are thousands of religious practices all claiming to be correct. Neither one of us can prove or disprove anything regarding the possibility of life after life, so that leaves us with the personal choice to either have faith or not. Personally, there's at best case and at worst case a 50/50 chance of the existance of a life after life and that what we do in the here and now matters in any possible hereafter. Those are pretty good odds and the wise will choose accordingly. ~ Please don't glue or tape objects to your vehicle that are large and heavy enough to dislodge at traveling speed and harm others. ~ Even though our moderators are ok with continuing our off topic discussion of religious connotation, and because I choose to love, learn and teach rather than hate and admonish, I believe that it would be more considerate to the other members of the forum to continue this discussion on the personal matter of faith and spirituality using the forum's personal message feature and I would be more than happy to do so. Amen.
Religion or being religious has nothing to do with what you're talking about or this thread. You're fully entitled to believe what you want as an atheist. You are entitled to your opinion which is off topic. In fact a lot of your responses have been off topic. If I happen to bring up my faith well it's because it's part of who I am... But there are many people in this world who cannot handle any of it like yourself. You truly sounds like you have a personal problem. I really have no desire to have a private message with you since it seems to be a personal matter for you. Have a great day mr griddle... I'm not here to talk about your religious beliefs. Thanks again for your biased opinion.

After seeing a few YouTube videos advocating the mounting of solar panels with VHB tape, I wrote to 3M and asked them if they would recommend this type of mount using their VHB tape. Their answer was a resounding "NO". You need a strong mechanical mount due to the strong forces caused by wind. Just think of the gusts when a semi goes by you. It will rip the panels right off the roof. I have heard people say they saw solar panel lying on the side of the road where they just "blew" off from a tape installation. The panels can kill someone. For everyone's safety, do not mount panels on a moving vehicle with any kind of tape or glue. Use metal mounts with solid attachment points.
'
Thank you for contacting 3M. (y)

Poor, I don't believe you did call 3M. Because others have done the same and called them and received a resounding yes. I guess it depends on who you talk to right... Some people refuse to believe.

Poor, you better make sure you're not behind me... I have an ejector button for my solar panels. Missiles away! ?

Last edited:
'
That is indeed odd, because VHB tape is used on many skyscraper windows certified to withstand hurricane winds. Now, they are installed by trained professionals and likely have a certified installation procedure, but...

I bet if 3m said no it is due to a D.O.T. REGULATION somewhere, and they are unwilling to accept responsibility for potential improper install failure.

I bet if 3m said no it is due to a D.O.T. REGULATION somewhere, and they are unwilling to accept responsibility for potential improper install failure.

I’m sure they can’t advocate and take responsibility for the use of their product on solar panels or any thing, but I also spoke with 3M about uses and strength concerning this possibility. They sent me two different rolls to do my own tests. Proper surface prep is crucial.
As I mentioned in a previous post fail safe tethers are always used.

Last edited:
Back