diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Output Boost? ~30 V --> 51 V

flammafeuer

I don't have enough panels to get the total solar panel output voltage great than the voltage my MPPT needs to charge at 48 V levels in my test setup. I thought I had ready once about something you could put in between your solar panel and the charge controller to boost the voltage, but can't find it again if I did. Is there a device like this that would work? My final setup will have more than enough Volts, and I really need to get another panel so that I can get my voltage up, but didn't think about it soon enough.

This thread might help (it's a bit of a read ! )

This thread might help (it's a bit of a read ! )
Thanks. I went through it, but couldn't see something that would help me (maybe I missed it). Not trying to reduce the panel voltage, but boost it.

Well, whats the details on the panels you have? There are multiple 'voltage boosting mppt' controllers available to boost a lower-voltage panel string to charge a higher voltage battery, but the issue is that you are trying to get into the thousands of watts of charging you would need several such devices as i haven't seen any larger than 600w.

Examples

You could use a simple dc-dc boost converter between your panels and your mppt but given the fairly low cost of the fully integrated 'boost mppts' i linked to above, i don't see it as being a worthwhile investment of time or dollars unless you happen to already have such a boost converter and the dollar factor becomes 0 (or amortized, maybe) and you don't mind the time spent dinking with it. Using a $45 pre-built boost converter to get 600w out seems cheap enough that i wouldn't bother with the DIY approach in most cases.

Do all mppts' have dc-dc boost capabilities? I have 11.8 v under S4 280Ah Lifeo4 battery load @ 4 - 0.2A coming from my 160W panel. I'm only getting that current I suspect because of that steep curve when you approach under voltage. I don't expect anything near a full charge without a boost of some sort. I only have a lead acid battery charger which is unsuitable. We are getting massive storms here in Australia so I feel i might have to use my booster converter in a pinch. Many of my friends have been without power for over a month now and I could be next.

On my golf cart 48v lithium pack and a 40v solar panel im using this boost controller ...taking 40v and boosting to 58.4 .. It works great !

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240120-090121.png
    Screenshot_20240120-090121.png
    909.1 KB · Views: 16
On my golf cart 48v lithium pack and a 40v solar panel im using this boost controller ...taking 40v and boosting to 58.4 .. It works great !
That's what I need too because I also made a S14 MNC battery that charges at 58 ish volts though I need to made an additional Current detection circuit to shut it down. which makes it difficult due to solar charger current varies alot. Are you using the same chemistry.

Back