diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel price and inflation.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
After being in Town yesterday, and having to pay more for just about everything I bought, it struck me about the price for solar panels. I remember my first ones I bought were close to $1.35/watt 6 years ago whereas now I can buy the same watt rated panel for 60-65 cents/watt (with delivery included in the price) in many cases. Pretty amazing if you factor in Inflation the last few years. Hard to see how that can be.

You would think that even with mass manufacturing that the price of basic materials and all the logistics of making and selling panels would prevent prices from dropping to much more.

Is there a floor to how low new solar panel cost per watt can reach? Waht do you think new panels prices are going to be a year from now, 10 years from now?

Reactions: HLB
@Danke 30 cents a watt delivered? Heck of a good price. Would you care to share where you are getting that when buying new panels?

@Danke 30 cents a watt delivered? Heck of a good price. Would you care to share where you are getting that when buying new panels?
It was a large order from China. If you don’t need a lot, probably need to find other guys to go into with for such an order.

This is available right here in expensive Finland (price including 24% VAT):

That's $0,25 or so at the time of writing. They're brand new. Delivery for an entire palette of 36 of these to my door was 99Euro, so a total of $0,26 per Watt including delivery.

Any new local housing development near to me is mandated to include solar panels where the roof points the right way ie South or East and West. New builds are bought by the young with families with both parents working and the kids at school so during peak production no one is home. Selling surplus to the grid gets you a really low price, so a deal is done. PV panels are not installed but put in garage, roof gets fully tiled, no inverter or wiring then once the development is finished an enterprising home owner will buy up the panels taking up space in the garages and sell them off. So I paid £0.24 per watt when I bought 19 270W panels, all brand new never been installed. Only issue is they are the sort that go on a roof instead of tiles so they are a bit heavier but also more rigid. On a cold day just after the sun has exited from behind a cloud I have seen 330W output per panel before the panels warm up.

I don’t think id pay more than 35c/w now. So grateful to see these prices compared to years past

Back