diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panel Switch or Breaker

For sure don't use a battery switch since it's designed for super high amps and offers no fault protection other than the ability to manually shut it off. A two pole as everyone mentioned are defiantly ideal as they isolate both ground and positive. I'd personally go with https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Ci...nect/dp/B095YFQWHK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 Rated for 500 volts DC vs 1000 volts DC.

I was just thinking about getting a combiner box that has the fuses and breaker already in it. Just trying to find one for 15A panels and 450VDC or more. I know that 4 to 1 box on watts247 should work, but still looking for other options.

Combiner boxes are a waste of money.
Unless you absolutely have plenty of money.

My only issue is that I plan on having at least 2 parallel strings, maybe even 4, in the future.
I feel like the fuses, breakers, and surge protection is easier with a combiner box.
The box from watts247 is pretty pricey, but seems to be a good unit.

Honestly, I was thinking about grabbing This Box and just swapping the breaker for what you suggested.
Then I would change the 10A fuses to 15A fuses and call it a day.
I'm just not sure how much watts each input can safely handle.

I appreciate the advice!

I currently have 2 strings and plans for 4 more.
A simple junction box from the hardware store with a couple of bars for parallel connections. Mc4 fuse holders on each string. And that dc disconnect by the inverter for maintenance. Easy peasy and very inexpensive.

The transfer switch and local disconnects for everything came in handy yesterday. When I needed to pull the inverter off the wall. To add a n/g bonding connection.

From the limited amount of installs I've seen. Many do use a combiner box / mounted outside. It'd be fairly easy to build your own combiner box though and about 1/2 the price. If your system isn't completly finished I'd consider just using the mentioned 2 pole breakers as they are super easy to install and you can always add a box later or move them into a box. With a combiner box your limited to what it was designed for. I started out with one string of 4 pannels then added 3 more after. Super handy to have control of each bank of panels for either work or troubleshooting. The mentioned 2 pole breakers do work great. I found this out when my wife was helping me run conduit for one of the strings and plugged in the connectors backwards . This caused a short and the breaker tripped quickly. This could have burned up my $750 charge controler or blown and internal fuse. One thing to keep in mind too. A pre built combiner box would not be an exact fit. For example each one of my 4 strings has a breaker to match the amp rating of the panel. So you may end up changing out breakers and fuses anyway for saftey and functional reasons.

Last edited:
Anyone see any reason why you couldn't modify this box by changing the fuses to 15A and breaker to the one suggested?
Being a beginner, I'd rather modify an existing one than building one from scratch.
I'm just wondering how many watts can be on a single string after the modification.

In the mean time, I will be using the breaker with a 15A MC4 in-line fuse.

If you want to raise the amperage, you need to make sure that everything you reuse is rated for this.
Other than that, no problem.

If you want to raise the amperage, you need to make sure that everything you reuse is rated for this.
Other than that, no problem.

I didn't know the ES 5000 only allows up to 18A on the PV input until now.
With my panels I would only be able to have 2 parallel strings.
So yeah, the combiner box is pointless in my situation.
Thanks again!

Back