diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel voltage fluctuation sun/clouds

Joules22

My Bluetti requires 35 V minimum for PV input. I have ordered two 200 W panels with a Voc of 21.62±3%, giving me adequate voltage in a series config. My question is, how much will the voltage be likely to drop when cloud cover is heavy? Shade will not be an issue.

Cloud cover is shade. Heavy cloud cover is more shade.

Panels will perform very poorly when clouds obscure the sun. You might get 10-20%. Almost nothing with dark storm clouds.

Indirect ambient light is usually sufficient to supply rated Voc.

The presence of light gives the volts. The intensity of the light gives the Amps/power.

Is 35V Voc or Vmp? At Voc, your panels will produce 0W. At Vmp, they will produce whatever the conditions allow (70-110% rated with optimal tilt @ high noon no clouds/shade).

Cloud cover is shade. Heavy cloud cover is more shade.
I meant from trees, but point taken.
Panels will perform very poorly when clouds obscure the sun. You might get 10-20%. Almost nothing with dark storm clouds.

Indirect ambient light is usually sufficient to supply rated Voc.

The presence of light gives the volts. The intensity of the light gives the Amps/power.

Is 35V Voc or Vmp? At Voc, your panels will produce 0W. At Vmp, they will produce whatever the conditions allow (70-110% rated with optimal tilt @ high noon no clouds/shade).
The input specs on the Bluetti simply say Solar charging: 35V-150V/12A.
Vmp for the panel is 17.98±3% while Voc is 21.62±3%. Not sure if I answered your question or not. My concern is not falling below the 35V required by Bluetti.

Your panels will operate closer to 17.98±3% X2 when producing power. Higher temperatures will produce lower voltage. Cells naturally get pretty hot when in full sun, so I would actually be more concerned about dropping under 35V in hot, clear, and sunny conditions rather than cloudy.

IMHO, get a 3rd panel.

Back