diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel wiring shorthand explanation.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Tried searching but was unable to find exactly what was standard definition. In several posts mentioning wiring panels in series and parallel people will use something like 5S2P to signify how their panels are setup. What exactly does that signify? I am sure that S is series and P is parallel. However I am not sure if this a string or the whole solar array. It also leaves the question of unequal watt panels setups.

If someone would kindly clue in me in I would appreciate it.

2s2p is two strings of two series panels each, then put in parallel.
So 5s3p would be three - parallel - strings of seried 5-panel-arrays.
This is mostly done to match max volts and max amps of the controller.
-

I realize it is to get to whatever volts or amps desired I am still a bit weak on details of the shorthand explanation. So if I am to understand that 2s2p is a total of 4 panels in the array. and that 2 are wired in series (doubling voltage) and these combined panels are matched to another two panels also wired in series to make a parallel (doubling amperage) hookup should that not be 1P for the second designation? There is only one parallel in this setup.

But when two become one that the sums may be greater than the individual. :)

So perhaps the second number in the shorthand can be used as a multiplier. Thus 5s3p tells you that 15 panels are in play. 3 parallel strings of 5 panels hooked in series.

the (x)s(x)p is an array description, when you only have one string the p is "silent"
it does seem odd to say 5s1p but that is a good description of a single string array
think of the "p" as the number of string ends that need to be connected
so, if you had 5 panels wired in parallel, each single panel would be a string resulting in a 1s5p array

So perhaps the second number in the shorthand can be used as a multiplier
nice point, I've used it that way with out ever really thinking about it

In the case of my setup I have 6 panels with each pair in series and the combined panels connected in parallel so that would be 2s3p. However I have in the past wired them with 3 in series and than in parallel so that would be 3s2p? maybe it does work out.

when two become one that the sums may be greater than the individual
There's basically two approaches to things.
One is the KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly) approach.
The other is the STCD (Simple Things Complication Department) one.
-icon_smile_firuli.gif

Back