diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels needed with a high VOC - Increase voltage from panels or swap for higher VoC panels?

coalfield

I have a foxcloud F3600 inverter which requires a VOC per PV Line (it allows 2 lines) of 80 ~ 550V.

One string I have is 8 panels giving plenty of voltage to operate, however my second string has a VOC of 40V per panel (80V in series), but in reality it gives just short of the 80V minimum to operate the invertors 2nd MPPT controller.

I am therefore looking for either a way to boost the voltage output (at expense of current) to allow these panels to operate with the invertor, or to swap them for a higher voltage panel to I can clear the 80V minimum.

Any recommendations for ways to boost output voltage, or any panels that operate at higher VOCs?

Are you saying you have 2 panels on one string and 8 panels on the other? If so, can you move one panel to the short string?
Note this can be done with extension wires and would not require physically moving the present panels. Even if it needed 2 to accomplish and balance the setup.

Are you saying you have 2 panels on one string and 8 panels on the other? If so, can you move one panel to the short string?
yes, but the panels are not matched... I have 8x390 Watt + 2x 360 Watt so didn't want to mix, they are also on different parts of the roof so to mix the strings would be a bit of a nightmare :(

I have a foxcloud F3600 inverter which requires a VOC per PV Line (it allows 2 lines) of 80 ~ 550V.

One string I have is 8 panels giving plenty of voltage to operate, however my second string has a VOC of 40V per panel (80V in series), but in reality it gives just short of the 80V minimum to operate the invertors 2nd MPPT controller.

I am therefore looking for either a way to boost the voltage output (at expense of current) to allow these panels to operate with the invertor, or to swap them for a higher voltage panel to I can clear the 80V minimum.

Any recommendations for ways to boost output voltage, or any panels that operate at higher VOCs?
i have been using used sunpower panels which generally have high Voc and low amps. my 320w panels have Voc=65v and 435w panels are Voc=85v

I would think the best thing would be to buy one more panel of the 360w or one that works with those in series.

If looking at a different panel remember that in series volts add and you use to lowest current. So look for a panel that has the same (or slightly higher if possible) current numbers (Imp). It will not matter is the volts are way off - they just add in series.

I wanted one more 210w panel in series for my MotorHome roof. But the panels I got were discontinued and I didn’t have room for another 200w. I found two 100w panels that when put in parallel their amps were just higher than the 210w panels - so I put the 100w panels in parallel and then put them in series with the two 210w panels. Out of a possible 620w they could produce just over 600w. (Multiply the Vmp * Imp).

Good Luck

Back