diy solar

diy solar

Solar power for camping

ambinkyy

2 solar panels (100w) & mppt controller, & generator.
I have the above gear hoping to use it for camping trip. Not sure if it will work & not sure how to connect it. Mppt controller has solar hookups on one side which will connect to my panels. However the other side has 2 holes marked battery (+/-). I have a generator I'm planning to connect. I don't have the wires & not sure where to get the wires. I don't even know that it will work to charge it? Will it blow my generator? Any help would be great. My trip is in a week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230813_201804_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_201804_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230813_211359_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230813_211359_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 11
What does your Jackery / Shell Power Station instruction manual say about Charging? It should tell you the what and how? If you look at the lower left of the Power Station it says "Input", which seems like that should be AC Input for Charging via an included AC power brick / module / wall wart into the black round input port / plug or via a + / - power source?, which should be discussed in the device manual, as it is not indicated below the +/- or red/black ports or plugs. The specs shoull be in the product manual and often the manual can be downloaded from the manufacturer website if you do not have a paper copy or a PDF already.

Otherwise, you have 200 Watts of solar panels and a 700 Watt power station / battery. Solar panels rarely can achieve 100% of their rating except maybe in perfect sun / temperature conditions. Whether it will "blow" the power station, depends on the power station interior charge controller. Again, perhaps refer to the product manual and or manufacturer?

Your solar generator, ( a stupid name), has a built in controller that charges the internal battery. There are connection ports for the solar input on the generator, your instruction manual will offer guidance.

Last edited:
Most likely you don’t need your MPPT controller, because your solar generator likely has one built in already. In that case, you just hook panels directly to the generator, but you’ll need the right kind of panels and a MC4 adapter designed for your generator.

Post the PDF of your generator’s user manual and we can help more.

Back