diy solar

diy solar

Solar production and different types of light.

RussNM

Solar Enthusiast
So as I was looking at our predicted weather and our current UV index being extremely high (12) I was wondering if there is a correlation between high UV index and solar production? The consensus is all over the place whether UV and IR plays any role in pv production. Some say yes some say no. Im going to assume that a HIGH UV index is the result of a dry and clear sky and for me living at a high altitude. Thoughts?

Typical solar PV cells respond to radiation from UV (just) through to the near infrared. Peak solar PV response is in the near infrared, however sunlight at sea level is strongest in the visible spectrum:

shows-a-typical-solar-radiation-spectrum-and-the-spectral-response-of-a-silicon-solar.ppm

Can read up more on it here:

If you are interested in solar PV forecasts, there are services which do that. Solcast for instance provides a hobbyist free level:

and there are others.

Indeed UV provides very little solar PV output potential.
So youd be in the "no' category.

On the other hand..
"While solar panels can absorb a broad range of wavelengths, including visible light and infrared radiation, it is crucial to note that they are particularly responsive to UV light. UV rays carry more energy compared to longer wavelength light, which enables solar panels to generate a higher electric current and increase their overall efficiency." https://accelerate-solar.com/do-solar-panels-use-uv-light/
My thinking:
UVa and UVb are able to penetrate our atmosphere with UVa being the most prominent. UVa is quite a powerful source of invisible light... this I know because Ive had to go thru several bouts of cancer caused by this. I would think its just the same as visible light only that it has a shorter wavelength.
(The above website is one of many that proclaim that uv contributes to solar production).

Less clouds would be a good start before worrying about which wavelength of light is best :).

My whole thing here is that we have well over 300 cloudless days every year. We also have very low relative humidity. .. right now its 8%. Also higher altitude, 7000ft asl. This in turn leads us to have extremely high amounts of UV radiation. Until recently I assumed that photovoltaics only used the visible light spectrum to produce power but in my research im getting YES uv contributes and NO uv doesn't contribute. My gut tells me that uv actually contributes to pv production because light is light and light carries the potential of energy whether its visible or not. Because of our generally clear and "clean" atmosphere pv works closer to its fullest potential than eastern states.

So youd be in the "no' category.
"Very little" is not "none". Look at the chart I posted.

Apart from the physics involved in the photovoltaic effect, which means the UV impact is small, the glass used in panels also prevents much UV from being transmitted to the solar cells. Not that it matters since UV light doesn't result in much effect. The key spectrum is visible light and the near infra-red. The more of that light you have, the better the output.

My gut tells me that uv actually contributes to pv production because light is light and light carries the potential of energy whether its visible or not.
No offence but your gut is wrong.

The specific energy level of the light (IOW the wavelength) matters a great deal because it has to match that which results in the semiconductor absorbing the light. Some light energy levels (wavelengths) will pass right through the material, while others will be reflected. Only the "Goldilocks" wavelengths are absorbed and result in kicking electrons out of their orbitals enabling the generation of an electrical potential across the cell.

There's been over a century of detailed scientific exploration into the physics involved, including that by Albert Einstein's Nobel Prize winning work (published in 1905) for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back