diy solar

diy solar

solar, shore and generator

Hey all. I have a progressive dynamics ATS between shore power and generator but want to connect my inverter in this line also. I am looking to add a second ATS to make this happen. I know I can do this but I am still worried about the second ATS trying to run the converter/charger and charge my batteries and we all know this is not a good thing. I could simplify with inverter/charger but my problems are 1) I don't want to spend $1300 (Samlex) 2) my coach is small with very limited space to put a unit this big 3) Not sure the spaces I can put it can hold the weight.
1598713543438.png 1598713651048.png
I am looking at this prewired from Go Power but question whether it can be added as a second unit. However, is supposed to bypass the charger of the converter. The direct wired unit does not specify bypassing the charger. Any thoughts or ideas on how to add these would be great.

UL 458 listed Inverter charger like Samlex Evo will simplify install to accomplish pass through operation plus provide load support options. The most important feature in my opinion of this class device(ul 458 inverter charger) is its ability to maintain neutral bonding and proper grounding in all the different operating modes that are possible.

For me -it is easier and less stressful to cry once buying the proper device for application Vs. the need to implement complex workarounds using a price point device and non-code neutral bonding and grounding schemes.

RV's and mobile applications due to application are just safer and more enjoyable to use when robust equipment is chosen that utilizes a cabling scheme that provides automatic operation. This is especially important -if non technical people will be using the system when parked several hours away from emergency services like a Fire Department.

UL 458 listed Inverter charger like Samlex Evo will simplify install to accomplish pass through operation plus provide load support options. The most important feature in my opinion of this class device(ul 458 inverter charger) is its ability to maintain neutral bonding and proper grounding in all the different operating modes that are possible.

For me -it is easier and less stressful to cry once buying the proper device for application Vs. the need to implement complex workarounds using a price point device and non-code neutral bonding and grounding schemes.

RV's and mobile applications due to application are just safer and more enjoyable to use when robust equipment is chosen that utilizes a cabling scheme that provides automatic operation. This is especially important -if non technical people will be using the system when parked several hours away from emergency services like a Fire Department.
Yeah mapguy I really do like the samlex evo. I'm not really looking at the cheapest option just trying not to spend more if I really do not have to. As I said in my post room availabilty is very limited. I do not have any place inside the coach for the samlex. I tried putting my new batteries (about 90lbs) in the storage next to the original placement for better protection and the storage is made out of plastic and almost caved in. This was of course without driving so no vibration to make it worse.
I would definately see some benefit with the evo. I could shorten my battery cables from 10ft to 18in. All the switching I want. Sell the inverter and converter and recover a couple bucks. Don Roe is my cheapest option when including taxes and shipping. Oh I've been eye balling it. lol

I currently have two (2) separate switches on my system.
  1. Shore or Diesel Generator - simple arm/lever switch in bay next to the generator. It throws up for shore, middle OFF and down for Generator. It spends 99% of the time in the 'Shore' position as I rarely use my generator.
  2. 63amp, 650volt rotary switch inside the bus on my 'power wall'. it has Shore/Gen, OFF and Inverter (1, 0 and 2 positions). It also spends most of the time on Shore/Gen.
When I use my inverter, I currently ONLY have it connected to the pair of 8D lead acid start and run batteries for the bus. I only run the inverter once the bus 245amp DC generator is charging and the bus is running down the road. I have a 2-pole Blue Water DC power switch to power the inverter from the 8D's or OFF. In future, I will leverage the second pole ON setting to connect the BATTERY leads from the Solar Charge Controller to power Inverter from a second set of batteries (Lifepo4 soon).

I also have a main power switch that I have to turn off at the AC panel when using Inverter.

Needless to say, with the number of manual switches, I need to keep well versed on power on/off sequences to avoid damaging components. I have purchased an automated 2-way switch that I may install someday in place of the 63amp rotary switch. I would need to address the Mains breaker that I have to turn off when using Inverter. When it is ON today, the AC panel will not power when rotary switch is set to Inverter. I think this is to protect the Inverter AC output from conflict with the shore/gen AC output coming into the main panel. It was installed by prior owner and I need to get better acquainted with it.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go ahead and attempt the Samlex evo-3012. I have it installed but am having an issue possibly related to bad battery cable I was given. It was free for a reason.

Back