diy solar

diy solar

Solark 15k DIY Grid Tie Design with 200A disconnect and Manual Bypass - all grounds and neutrals to main

I used powerpoint, then saved the slide as a jpg.
Good point about the flex conduit - I'll probably use the flex conduit between the wireway and the solark and transfer switch. Rigid PVC elsewhere.
Yes, it will be permitted and inspected. Met with the Township guys last week and they explained the process and paperwork.
Ugh… .ppt and I do not get along, I’ll have to look at the other options mentioned in this thread-thanks though.

I just had a similar conversation with my permitting agents on how my app will work, so far so good on my basic plans and their overall requirements.

I have to still choose between SOK and EG4 LL server rack batteries-the more I research EG4’s the more I lean towards the SOK, and they’re not significantly more $ for each pack.

I’m still cutting a few trees and working on my plans, consult is next week to get a reality check and then off applying and shopping.

Thanks, man. I'm running 12/3 armored cable from my generator hook up to the solark. I'll ground the generator to the main ground bus in the wireway. (I added that detail in a new drawing.)

Yes, just like that. That's what I'm planning to do. single 4/0 in, two 2/0 out to the connections.
Thank you for moving the ground bar into the main disconnect where it belongs. You may also want to show the GEC and ground rods

Ugh… .ppt and I do not get along, I’ll have to look at the other options mentioned in this thread-thanks though.

I just had a similar conversation with my permitting agents on how my app will work, so far so good on my basic plans and their overall requirements.

I have to still choose between SOK and EG4 LL server rack batteries-the more I research EG4’s the more I lean towards the SOK, and they’re not significantly more $ for each pack.

I’m still cutting a few trees and working on my plans, consult is next week to get a reality check and then off applying and shopping.
Yeah, I hear you about PowerPoint, especially with the “improvements” added to each new version. My work requires using it, so I’m through the learning curve.

I’ve read really good reports on SOK. Seems like a great option. Price pushed me to EG4, but SOK was on my short list.

Good luck with your application and install!

May I ask where you can get those Solar Panels from :)
I ordered a pallet of 31 panels from ecodirect. fast shipping, no hassle. $12.2k including shipping to PA.

Not the cheapest panels, but they had the best warranty that I could find - 25 years for workmanship and 30 years for performance.

Yeah, I hear you about PowerPoint, especially with the “improvements” added to each new version. My work requires using it, so I’m through the learning curve.

I’ve read really good reports on SOK. Seems like a great option. Price pushed me to EG4, but SOK was on my short list.

Good luck with your application and install!
I have the Pro version at work as well, it I use it so infrequently that it’s starting from scratch with all the changes and updates you mentioned every time I open it I really just try to stay away anymore…

I’m leaning heavily to the SOK, for a lot of reasons, and they really aren’t that much more per than the LLv2’s-I’d rather have a support team like that at CurrentConnected than the alternative.

I see you got big producing panels, I just can’t bring myself to spring for the cutting edge of production like that when there are ones like Canadian Solars bihiku 400’s out there for a lot less per panel:watt-I think they’re really on to something with their bifacials and the cost is very competitive.

Good luck on yours as well, love to see an updated schematic.
Thanks.

I have the Pro version at work as well, it I use it so infrequently that it’s starting from scratch with all the changes and updates you mentioned every time I open it I really just try to stay away anymore…

I’m leaning heavily to the SOK, for a lot of reasons, and they really aren’t that much more per than the LLv2’s-I’d rather have a support team like that at CurrentConnected than the alternative.

I see you got big producing panels, I just can’t bring myself to spring for the cutting edge of production like that when there are ones like Canadian Solars bihiku 400’s out there for a lot less per panel:watt-I think they’re really on to something with their bifacials and the cost is very competitive.

Good luck on yours as well, love to see an updated schematic.
Thanks.
I'd love to hear why you're leaning towards SOK, especially since the EG4_LL batteries are Sol-Ark BMS compatible and second generation?

I'd love to hear why you're leaning towards SOK, especially since the EG4_LL batteries are Sol-Ark BMS compatible and second generation?
The SOK batteries are currently being certified by Sol-Ark. They are literally on their test bench right now. The SOK battery is user serviceable.

So it boils down to "user serviceable"? Do you anticipate you'll be popping the hood and swapping parts?
No, I don't anticipate having to service it for a very long time. However, if id does need service I would rather crack it open and work on it myself. It costs a small fortune to ship 100+ lb battery. Plus, I was vey happy with support that I received from Dexter@CurrentConnected.

So it boils down to "user serviceable"? Do you anticipate you'll be popping the hood and swapping parts?
We don't pro-rate the warranty either. If you pop the hood to look inside that doesn't void your warranty. No games about registering your warranty within 1 year either - your order number is your warranty registration.

Let's say you make a mistake and short out the DC wires and blow a BMS in the process (which is pretty hard to do). Even if it's not covered by warranty , you aren't out of luck - we have no issue selling the repair parts outside of the warranty so that you can get it back up and running even if you caused the fault. Just be honest and upfront with us and we will make sure you are taken care of and we can keep the batteries out of a landfill.

Feel free to compare the warranty policies on your own:

www.signaturesolar.com/eg4-ll-warranty/
www.signaturesolar.com/eg4-ll-warranty/

www.currentconnected.com/warranty

@HighTechLab

Dexter, where do you guys ship from? One thing that was certainly a high deciding factor for me to look at EG4 over SOK was the fact that they don't charge sales tax outside of Texas. In my case, I'm going to be importing these batteries down to Mexico (San Felipe), through a broker, and would need to have the CA sales tax removed. Is CurrentConnected able to omit the sales tax either upfront or afterward with a receipt of a broker transfer confirmation to Mexico?

Do the SOK batteries already have Sol-Ark integration? It says so on your site, but I don't see SOK or Current Connected listed as a battery supplier on Sol-Arks page.
https://www.sol-ark.com/battery-partners/

Besides the fact that warranties are only as good as the solvency of the business offering them, if you could help me with the taxes so I'm not double paying Mexico and CA tax and these SOK batteries are Sol-Ark ready, I'm super down to make a serious consideration to purchase SOK batteries from CurrentConnected.

FYI, I'm looking at an order of about 24, 48V rack mount batteries, not a small install and the place I'll be using them is a full off-grid community with hundreds of other owners potentially looking now or in the future for a solid battery manufacture.

Feel free to private message me, I would love to talk offline for a moment if you would be willing to give me a tiny bit of your time!!

Last edited:
@HighTechLab

Dexter, where do you guys ship from? One thing that was certainly a high deciding factor for me to look at EG4 over SOK was the fact that they don't charge sales tax outside of Texas. In my case, I'm going to be importing these batteries down to Mexico (San Felipe), through a broker, and would need to have the CA sales tax removed. Is CurrentConnected able to omit the sales tax either upfront or afterward with a receipt of a broker transfer confirmation to Mexico?

Do the SOK batteries already have Sol-Ark integration? It says so on your site, but I don't see SOK or Current Connected listed as a battery supplier on Sol-Arks page.
https://www.sol-ark.com/battery-partners/

Besides the fact that warranties are only as good as the solvency of the business offering them, if you could help me with the taxes so I'm not double paying Mexico and CA tax and these SOK batteries are Sol-Ark ready, I'm super down to make a serious consideration to purchase SOK batteries from CurrentConnected.

FYI, I'm looking at an order of about 24, 48V rack mount batteries, not a small install and the place I'll be using them is a full off-grid community with hundreds of other owners potentially looking now or in the future for a solid battery manufacture.

Feel free to private message me, I would love to talk offline for a moment if you would be willing to give me a tiny bit of your time!!
I feel the tax side of this is probably best discussed privately, so please send an email to me, dexter@currentconnected.com and I'm certain we can take care of this issue appropriately.

As mentioned Sol-Ark is testing for their seal of approval which has taken months now. In the meantime, customers are using them anyway (since it works just fine already). I did 6 months of testing prior to sending them to Sol-Ark and had no issues. About 60% of customers that utilize communication are using Sol-ark, about 25% MPP Solar, and the rest Victron. With that many field-use cases with Sol-Ark, if there is a widespread issue, we would have found it a long time ago.

This said, the closed loop communication is only supported up to 15 batteries at this time, beyond that goes back to voltage-based control (open loop). This will be changing in the future but not without add-on hardware. It is purely a limitation of how many DIP switches there are (and thereby respective RS485 addresses).

This said, the closed loop communication is only supported up to 15 batteries at this time, beyond that goes back to voltage-based control (open loop). This will be changing in the future but not without add-on hardware. It is purely a limitation of how many DIP switches there are (and thereby respective RS485 addresses).
Do you see anywhere in the future where mixing battery brands will have that limitation lifted or addressed too, so they can all be closed loop?

Do you see anywhere in the future where mixing battery brands will have that limitation lifted or addressed too, so they can all be closed loop?
I can promise I'm not buying other brands and working on any form of testing with them. I have some ideas that work with existing batteries in the pipeline.

This is very similar to a set up I'm trying to design, although it's looking like I'll need two SolArk 15's. (400 amp service). My question is, why the transfer switch? Doesn't the inverter do that for you? It will feed 200 amps pass through right?

This is very similar to a set up I'm trying to design, although it's looking like I'll need two SolArk 15's. (400 amp service). My question is, why the transfer switch? Doesn't the inverter do that for you? It will feed 200 amps pass through right?
Because if my Sol Ark fails it defaults to off (safety feature). No power to loads. The transfer switch allows me to bypass the Sol Ark and at least go back on grid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Chickenstick ,

Thanks for this thread and excellent wiring diagram, very helpful to my planning.

Do you think the generator could be added to the grid side of the 2-way bypass? On the Sol-Ark, I think this would require the generator input be moved from gen to grid side input but am not sure.

The house could be powered from either grid or generator in bypass mode.

So if ever the inverter is down and the grid is down you can still power the house from either source until the inverter is repaired. Would this be possible do you think? It would save the expense and wiring complexity of putting in two bypasses, one for grid and one for generator.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Alastair

diy solar

diy solar
Back