diy solar

diy solar

Solid vs stranded wire

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
I am about to start my grid tied, permit approved solar panel installation on my roof. I want to buy wire, but I just realized I am not sure whether I am supposed to get solid or stranded THHN.

My design is PV wire to soladeck to 50 feet of 3/4" EMT to Solaredge 7.6kw inverter. I am planning 10 Awg (black, red, black, red) and 8awg green. This will be thhn through emt conduit. The DC will stay exterior to house.

Then from main electrical panel to AC disconnect to solaredge inverter, I am planning 40amp breaker and 8AWG thhn (red, black, white, green) through emt and liquid tight. This will be a transition from inside to outside.

Do I buy stranded wire for the DC and solid for the AC?

In skeewl I learned stranded is up to 10% more efficient as the electrons travel on the surface area, not (in) the conductor. Stranded has more surface area when added up compared to solid. Of course less headaches as mentioned above ;)
No skin effect with DC. Even at 60Hz, you don't even need to worry about it for the most part.

From what I read here on this thread, stranded or solid, but stranded is easier to pull.

I do wonder if this applies to all AOJ (authority of jurisdictions).

Fine stranded will always be much nicer to work with because of its flexibility.

There is only really one situation where its inferior. If its used outdoors or where water can get to it, especially at the ends, it will suck up water like sponge. The copper will quickly go green and turn to powder and then go open circuit. This is particularly a problem with buried cables, where even a single pin hole will let in water, and the moisture will then travel an amazing distance in both directions.

Thicker and fewer strands, has the same problem but to a much lesser extent. Tinned copper wire is much better than bare copper wire.
So if its in a boat, or up on a roof, be mindful of possibly wet conditions.

If you need listed fine stranded wire look for MTW or Machine Tool Wire.

Just to be clear, the difference between tinned copper cable and bare copper cable.
Tinned copper has much better resistance to moisture and corrosion and is what should be used outdoors.

Attachments

• tinned vs bare.jpeg
    tinned vs bare.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 7
Back