diy solar

diy solar

Mismatched wiring and solid vs stranded

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Looking for educated opinions!

It’s looking like I’ll only be able to fit 15 of the 16 panels I’ve ordered on our pergola. That said, I have to split them into two strings instead of 8s2p it’ll be one in 8s, one in 7s. Roughly 10 amps max per string.

Probably a total of 60-70 feet back to the Sol-Ark. I already pulled a pair of stranded 10awg THWN wire expecting to have 20 amps running down the wire at about 400v. I thought I had more than I did and ran out with a single run.

I have plenty of 12awg solid THWN, and one roll of red 12awg stranded.

Do I:

A) Buy more 10awg stranded and satisfy my inner wiring nazi self

B) Use existing wire and pull one red stranded 12awg and one solid black 12awg

C) Pull two of the red stranded 12awg and relabel one with black tape on each end

D) Pull one white and one black solid 12awg and relabel white to red

E) Shut up, it doesn’t matter, you’re overthinking it

Use one of the many voltage drop calculators found online. I use the Southwire one.

You’ll get your answer.

I appreciate the response, but I’m well aware of the ampacity requirements and all every wire referenced is more than capable of the distance, voltage and amperage.

It’s really coming down to being adhd with wiring, purely looking at what others would do :)

IMG_6121.png

B then E.

A costs too much for no reason. C and D are technical code violations because you can't re-color a conductor smaller than #4.

B then E.

A costs too much for no reason. C and D are technical code violations because you can't re-color a conductor smaller than #4.
I would agree, but I don’t know that said code violation is relevant when dealing with DC PV wire. I’ve seen many people mention using purely black wire is legal.

I would agree, but I don’t know that said code violation is relevant when dealing with DC PV wire. I’ve seen many people mention using purely black wire is legal.
I checked and you're right that the code about PV conductors doesn't have a color restriction. However, still B then E.

I checked and you're right that the code about PV conductors doesn't have a color restriction. However, still B then E.
Thanks for checking, I appreciate that.

I agree 100% on the E

I’m 50/50 on the B. It feels so wrong!

Back