diy solar

diy solar

Solis RAI 3K AC - no discharge, shows as operational but no contribution to household load?

Question for those of you who phoned Solis tech line to ask for firmware update (submitting ticket first).
Did you select the phone option for installer or end user?
I installed the inverter so technically I suppose I'm the installer :)

EDIT: No matter now. I got the firmware update within half a day of submitting the ticket, well done Solis :cool:

Last edited:
@Derek De Leon you were lucky, I waited 2 weeks then had to call them. My API access request was prompt though (in the end I've decided to use modbus anyway).

@Umski I've hit an issue you might face. I went ahead a bought a 2nd battery, connected them in parallel, hooked up the comms. All seemed OK until I hit my force charge value. What I believe is happening is that the natural differences in cells mean the SOC is different for a given voltage. The batteries try to balance themselves by voltage resulting in slightly different SOC.

The inverter, as can be clearly seen from the display, cycles between reading the SOC of one battery and then the other, constantly flipping. When the values are either side of the minimum SOC and FC values, this results in a yoyo effect of charging and discharging.

I have opened a ticket with solis about it. Ideally, an average SOC would be used.

The inverter, as can be clearly seen from the display, cycles between reading the SOC of one battery and then the other, constantly flipping.
can you post an image of that please?

Great thanks - that's from the Solis cloud app, I presume?

Great thanks - that's from the Solis cloud app, I presume?
Intend to use solarman, but yes. I verified the same yo-yo on the inverter itself.

As soon as a pull the comms between the batteries it stops, reading whichever one it is directly connected to.

Hmmm... to me that sounds like an error on the part of the battery sending its CANBus data ? I would have expected that any 'set' of batteries would return a single SOC charge value to the inverter. I'm no expert on this, but from what I have seen from the CANBus protocol, there is no concept of Battery A and Battery B in the data packets sent. Just a single SOC (and voltage and current requests etc.) ?‍?

Maybe someone else who has multiple batteries can chip in... but I'm unsurprised that the Solis has a "WTF" moment ? and does strange things if it is being given largely differing SOC values every few seconds.

@Umski I've hit an issue you might face. I went ahead a bought a 2nd battery, connected them in parallel, hooked up the comms. All seemed OK until I hit my force charge value. What I believe is happening is that the natural differences in cells mean the SOC is different for a given voltage. The batteries try to balance themselves by voltage resulting in slightly different SOC.

The inverter, as can be clearly seen from the display, cycles between reading the SOC of one battery and then the other, constantly flipping. When the values are either side of the minimum SOC and FC values, this results in a yoyo effect of charging and discharging.

I have opened a ticket with solis about it. Ideally, an average SOC would be used.
That is strange though as Seagal says, one would think that the batteries' BMSes would talk to each other and decide which SoC to share with the inverter - that's my understanding for the Pylons at least which is why you can mix different capacities provided the 'newest' or largest capacity one is the 'master'...

I'm relieved to say my charge/discharge values are slowly creeping up - there was a new low of 5A Discharge and 10A Charge since Monday when overnight was -7C and barely over 0C in the day! I let it trickle charge over the day and then just turned the whole lot off as not to stress the Pylon overnight! Hoping for a full charge again later this week :)

Sorry to jump on this thread.. I have just installed an RAI-3K-48ES-5G with a Pytes Battery.. seller of the battery indicated the battery was supported by Solis and should be configured as DLG or Pytes battery...but neither are available.. tutorial videos show that these batteries are an option on the Hybrid Inverter, but cant get anyone to confirm if the AC version is the same..

Software is: 11000E
HMI: 11
DSP: 0E

Have logged a service request with Solis, but wondered if someone could do me a favour and check the latest firmware to see if it lists Pytes ?

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on this thread..
You will likely get more responses if you create a new thread with a title relevant to your issues.

I have just installed an RAI-3K-48ES-5G with a Pytes Battery.. seller of the battery indicated the battery was supported by Solis and should be configured as DLG or Pytes battery...but neither are available.. tutorial videos show that these batteries are an option on the Hybrid Inverter, but cant get anyone to confirm if the AC version is the same..

Software is: 11000E
HMI: 11
DSP: 0E

Have logged a service request with Solis, but wondered if someone could do me a favour and check the latest firmware to see if it lists Pytes ?

Cheers
Many 3rd party batteries are configurable to emulate the Pylontech protocol, so you could try setting both batter and Solis to Pylon and see if that words. If not, the Solis RHI is configurable with a 'user-defined' battery setting that accepts a generic SMA protocol. That may work for you if the RAI also has that option.

But, as I said above start a new thread with something like "Solis RAI compatiblity with Pytes battery" in the subject then, if someone else has that configuration they notice it and respond.

You will likely get more responses if you create a new thread with a title relevant to your issues.

Many 3rd party batteries are configurable to emulate the Pylontech protocol, so you could try setting both batter and Solis to Pylon and see if that words. If not, the Solis RHI is configurable with a 'user-defined' battery setting that accepts a generic SMA protocol. That may work for you if the RAI also has that option.

But, as I said above start a new thread with something like "Solis RAI compatiblity with Pytes battery" in the subject then, if someone else has that configuration they notice it and respond.
As noted, there will likely be more responses with a specific title as I know that there a few RAI users who have had firmware updates to 130010 - I am still on 11000E but there is defintitely a user-defined option on the RAI as Seagal mentions - use with caution however, though the BMS should prevent anything bad happening in principle.

As noted, there will likely be more responses with a specific title...
Yep.. he started one :) ... for others wanting to follow more, see here... it's still only me responding in that new thread... ?‍? but hey ho!

Back