diy solar

diy solar

Solis S5_EH1P5K-L inverter charge battery at saem time as feeding to grid?

cyberhen

Does the Solis inverter below have the capability of charging battery and dumping 5kW to grid simultaenously. I'm new to the solar market, but would anticipate that it would be best to dump to grid in early morning and try maximise the capacity at miday to charge battery and dump to grid at same time. I know that midday may not be best time depedning on cloud cover etc. We are limited to 5kW dump to Grid in Ireland and looking at possibilty that when th e panels are exceeding this we charge the battery at same time as feeding back to grid
S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L
5kW of Inverter Power
SOLIS - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies
1 x S5-EH1P5K-L

5 -year Standard Warranty

SolisLogo.png

Welcome!

Does the Solis inverter below have the capability of charging battery and dumping 5kW to grid simultaenously.
Yes and no (see below), assuming you are generating more than the 5kW from PV input.

The S5-EH1P5K-L can receive up to 8kW of PV and generate up to 5kW on its AC-grid port.

So if you are generating 8kW from solar and your battery is only demanding up to 3kW, then the remaining 5kW will be available on the AC-grid port. Assuming you have not limited grid export, then the amount of grid export will be that 5kW less the house usage, less the losses in transmission from inverter to grid connection.

IMHO though, you would be better to purchase the S5-EH1P6K-L as that can provide 6kW from its AC-grid port (assuming you have at least 1kW of solar as battery discharge is limited to 5kW). Then you can set the export power limitation to the 5kW to meet the requirements of your DNO, but that allows you to use up to 6kW in your house from the inverter. The price difference between the S5-EH1P5K-L and S5-EH1P6K-L is minimal.

Thanks SeaGal for your prompt reply. Is it easy to programme these into the inverter setup options , I had suggeseted the 6kW Solis from installer, but he says we are restricted to 5kW to grid and hence the inclusion of this 5kW inverter. How flexible are these inverters , can a 5kW limit to grid be set on the 6kW version, In addition I see that the recommended charge/ discharge current limits for proposed Dyness BX51100 Battery is 50A, will result in only a max of 2.5kW been charged into battery,Have you any opinions on the Dyness range?

Thanks SeaGal for your prompt reply. Is it easy to programme these into the inverter setup options
Yes - simple menu option.

I had suggeseted the 6kW Solis from installer, but he says we are restricted to 5kW to grid and hence the inclusion of this 5kW inverter.
I don't know about your regulations, but in the UK (using approved equipment) we can export up to 16 = 3680W and in that case just notify the DNO afterwards. Above 3.6kW we require approval first and then will be told if the amount is allowed or, if not, what limit we can export.

If you system is similar (but using the value of 5kW, rather than 3.6kW) then it could be the case that the installer has to fill in more forms to allow you to use a 6kW inverter that has (in UK terms, G100 export limitation control). So, guessing here, it might be a bit more work for them to do that, but IMHO worth it in the long run.

How flexible are these inverters , can a 5kW limit to grid be set on the 6kW version.
Yes - on my Solises - any value from zero upwards in 100W increments. I have my S5-EH1P6K-L set to 5kW export limit.

In addition I see that the recommended charge/ discharge current limits for proposed Dyness BX51100 Battery is 50A, will result in only a max of 2.5kW been charged into battery,Have you any opinions on the Dyness range?
I have no experience with that battery as I built a DIY storage system.

However, if I am assuming you are considering just a single 5.1kWh battery, then a 50A limit would be normal, resulting in max 2.5kW charge or discharge rate. Ideally you should have at least two of those in paralled which will give you double the capacity, but more importantly, twice the charge or discharge rate. The S5-EH1P6K-L (or S5-EH1P5K-L) supports 100A max.

Does the Solis inverter below have the capability of charging battery and dumping 5kW to grid simultaenously. I'm new to the solar market, but would anticipate that it would be best to dump to grid in early morning and try maximise the capacity at miday to charge battery and dump to grid at same time. I know that midday may not be best time depedning on cloud cover etc. We are limited to 5kW dump to Grid in Ireland and looking at possibilty that when th e panels are exceeding this we charge the battery at same time as feeding back to grid
S5-EH1P(3-6)K-L
5kW of Inverter Power
SOLIS - Ningbo Ginlong Technologies
1 x S5-EH1P5K-L
5 -year Standard Warranty

SolisLogo.png
if you wish to fully automate your process take a look at this post

Back