diy solar

diy solar

Solutions from science revival

Tinakaye

Find

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Current Solar Power System
  • Solutions from science perfect power 1800 with 2 batteries and 3 100 watt solar panels. Has never been used until now and will not hold charge for very long at all. Has sat for atleast 7 or 8 years in a shed when I bought.
  • I also have a harbor freight thunderbolt briefcase panel and harbor freight thunderbolt solar charge regulator.
  • Background
  • Just what I have googled and watched on youtube and looked into. But I have noone local that I know of that does this or is even remotely interested as far as I know and I am about to build a solar shed. This will be for my greenhouse and garden and to have as a backup emergency for my home. My husband thinks I'm crazy and im 47 and doing all this on a itty bitty budget to no budget.
  • I am wanting to revive this never used system i bought without having to buy new batteries. I've already lost my booty on it and need and DIY help to get myself set up. But not much info on this system because its so old.

Attachments

• 20220310_173823.jpg
    20220310_173823.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211204_135534.jpg
    20211204_135534.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211204_135521.jpg
    20211204_135521.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20211003_074422.jpg
    20211003_074422.jpg
    711.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211003_095356.jpg
    20211003_095356.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 22
I have one of those.
The sla battery was 80Ah and I took it out, dropped in a 100Ah LFP, and it works great.

If you connect up the panels to the batteries does anything work? That’s a lot of batteries, it would be expensive to replace them for sure.
Do you have any tools? Volt meter, battery charger?

I could not find any technical info on how to replace the existing batteries. I have two 80AH in my setup. One for the inverter and the other for the extra unit. I am planning on purchasing the 100AH LFP in the near future when I can afford it. Has anybody used these before?

The sla batteries inside are simple lug mounts, easy to swap in a LFP. I just crammed a ton of cells inside, and slapped in a jb BMS and it’s now gone from a dead 80Ah sla, to a tight 160Ah LFP the thing works amazingly.
I disabled the crap charge controller, and used the Anderson connections to feed an external charge controller. I disabled the wind control board as well… all the fuses come in handy for various loads.

The sla batteries inside are simple lug mounts, easy to swap in a LFP. I just crammed a ton of cells inside, and slapped in a jb BMS and it’s now gone from a dead 80Ah sla, to a tight 160Ah LFP the thing works amazingly.
I disabled the crap charge controller, and used the Anderson connections to feed an external charge controller. I disabled the wind control board as well… all the fuses come in handy for various loads.
Everyone talks this stuff and I'm still learning and I've been so aggravated with this unit because they company bailed and never came back. So in dummy terms please explain...lol!

Everyone talks this stuff and I'm still learning and I've been so aggravated with this unit because they company bailed and never came back. So in dummy terms please explain...lol!
Better yet draw a picture and show a product code for me to order. Lol!

If you connect up the panels to the batteries does anything work? That’s a lot of batteries, it would be expensive to replace them for sure.
Do you have any tools? Volt meter, battery charger?
If you plug them up it comes on and with work for a very short term. But that has only been after me letting it charge and shutting it off and letting it charge and shutting it charge. They won't hold charge. One may be throwing codes.

If you plug them up it comes on and with work for a very short term. But that has only been after me letting it charge and shutting it off and letting it charge and shutting it charge. They won't hold charge. One may be throwing codes.
That's how their connected is to three panels. And they stay charged as long as there is light and a little charge but they will shut down not long into the dark. When I have plugged it in to an electric source it throws codes and beeps and the fan goes and goes and goes.

That's how their connected is to three panels. And they stay charged as long as there is light and a little charge but they will shut down not long into the dark. When I have plugged it in to an electric source it throws codes and beeps and the fan goes and goes and goes.
Yes I have voltage meter just not sure when the best time to check or best time get get best information. Don't have many comparisons with this system. It's like they went door to door and sold and never returned and it sat forever and noone knew how to deal with it until I started fiddling with it for my greenhouse. And im aggravated because it cost a bit of money to just sit there because the company disappeared.

It's the original batteries. SLA I believe.
Ok, the first thing I did when I got mine was remove the dead sla battery.
No way to recondition it for good function.
You can order a replacement sla, but I went with custom built lfp cells into the cavity of the unit.
I fit about 160Ah of cells in the case.
It runs for days with small loads.
I also tapped into the leads and installed several qcUSB adapters into the existing cigarette lighter socket holes, I drilled the case to have switches control the new chargers seperate from the inverter.
So I now have a massive phone charger station...

Find

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Current Solar Power System
  • Solutions from science perfect power 1800 with 2 batteries and 3 100 watt solar panels. Has never been used until now and will not hold charge for very long at all. Has sat for atleast 7 or 8 years in a shed when I bought.
  • I also have a harbor freight thunderbolt briefcase panel and harbor freight thunderbolt solar charge regulator.
  • Background
  • Just what I have googled and watched on youtube and looked into. But I have noone local that I know of that does this or is even remotely interested as far as I know and I am about to build a solar shed. This will be for my greenhouse and garden and to have as a backup emergency for my home. My husband thinks I'm crazy and im 47 and doing all this on a itty bitty budget to no budget.
  • I am wanting to revive this never used system i bought without having to buy new batteries. I've already lost my booty on it and need and DIY help to get myself set up. But not much info on this system because its so old.
This is an interesting thread. I too recently purchased this unit at a garage sale. We just pulled the big battery out of it and are debating replacing it with another SLA or with a lithium iron phosphate. My concern is the question “does this trickle charge?” Can I leave it connected to the solar panel all the time or will that burn the battery out?

That's how their connected is to three panels. And they stay charged as long as there is light and a little charge but they will shut down not long into the dark.
As others noted, the batteries are dead. And probably beyond repair. Some DIYers pry SLAs open and perform various incantations while adding water and baking soda and such. Lots of YouTubes on this if you have time to burn. Very low chance of success, IMHO.

When I have plugged it in to an electric source it throws codes and beeps and the fan goes and goes and goes.
Do you have manuals that explain what the codes and beeps mean? If not search online for any docs you can find.

The PerfectPower 1800 has an internal AC slow charger that's supposed to recharge the internal battery (and probably your two external ones as well). The unit can act as a UPS even without solar panels connected. It can just pass grid power through to whatever you plug into the outlets on front (and back?). And since it also keeps the battery charged, when you lose grid power it just switches over and powers those outlets using the battery and internal 1800W inverter.

Maybe it beeps when you plug it into grid power because it detects the dead internal battery. Or maybe it also has other problems.

I'd first try to get it working without the solar and without the other two battery boxes. I'd (carefully) take the PerfectPower 1800 apart, disconnect the internal battery then connect those wires to a good 12V battery (e.g. from my car) instead. Then plug a lamp or something into one of those 120V outlets on the front. If that works for a while, e.g. 30 minutes, the inverter should be OK.

Then turn off the lamp and plug the PP1800 into grid power. If that works without beeps, the internal AC charger is probably good (to really test it I'd drain the battery a while, measure the resting voltage, then make sure it actually recharges from grid power).

Then disconnect from grid power and run the same tests with a solar panel plugged in. Or maybe all three panels in parallel, if the wiring allows that. That will test your solar charge controller.

You can also test the DC outlets on the front panel, e.g. 12V "cigarette lighter" and USB plugs, although you may not really care about them.

If everything works with a good battery you can then decide how to proceed:
  • Use witchcraft to revive the existing 80 Ah batteries?
  • Buy new deep cycle lead-acid batteries?
  • Buy new LiFePO4 batteries?
That really comes down to how you want to use it and how much you want to spend. But first you need to know which parts work.

This is an interesting thread. I too recently purchased this unit at a garage sale. We just pulled the big battery out of it and are debating replacing it with another SLA or with a lithium iron phosphate. My concern is the question “does this trickle charge?” Can I leave it connected to the solar panel all the time or will that burn the battery out?
Heh...
I disconnected the internal scc board, and installed my own.
I wired it into the Anderson connectors... the original one is a crappy pwm... I think I did some trickery with the wind connections... I dont remember right now.
I do have all the manuals for mine, so if anybody needs a copy, I can post images of the pertinent pages...
Mine also has a huge 175A Anderson connector for adding additional batteries, and I have plans for that as well...

Heh...
I disconnected the internal scc board, and installed my own.
I wired it into the Anderson connectors... the original one is a crappy pwm... I think I did some trickery with the wind connections... I dont remember right now.
I do have all the manuals for mine, so if anybody needs a copy, I can post images of the pertinent pages...
Mine also has a huge 175A Anderson connector for adding additional batteries, and I have plans for that as well...
Thanks!
I just got in a new 100 amp LiFePo4 that I’m going to install. I think I’ll take your advice and replace the solar controller. I’m tempted to put in a new LFP A/C charger too. I’m not sure how different it is from the charger that’s presently in the unit, but I’ve always used a specialized charger from my other LFP batteries.
Any thoughts?

Supervstech,
I have this system and am pretty sure all 3 batteries need replacing. Could you please post any pages you have from the manual explaining how to replace them..thanks so much

Supervstech,
I have this system and am pretty sure all 3 batteries need replacing. Could you please post any pages you have from the manual explaining how to replace them..thanks so much
The manual does not go into opening the case or changing the batteries.

Its a piece of cake to do though.

Remove all the front and side screws, take off thw panels, and unbolt the battery to remove, then reverse to replace.

LOTS of wires on each terminal, i would wrap tape around the bundle on each terminal before removing the bolt.

Back