diy solar

diy solar

Is this wiring ok to use?

footballbob06

I have a travel trailer I am putting an SAE in on the outside going to the charge controller (cheapie harbor freight thunderbolt 100watt system with their cheapie charge controller). I am also planning on using the same wiring to add 2 cig lighters and 2 usb chargers. Below is my wiring diagram will this work or do I need alternate cables for the charge controller that go straight to the battery so 4 instead of 2. I am planning on doing the battery to the distribution block and the charger on one post and then the one going to a small fuse block on the other side of the distribution block to the chargers and lighters. Is this ok on one 8ga positive and one 8 ga negative or should I have designated line in for the solar as well?
Wiring diagram.png

That would work but...

* There is a lot of unfused wiring before the fuse box.
* I don't know what wattage you have for the solar panel, but 8AWG is probably overkill for the wiring to the charge controller.
* 8AWG seems larger than needed for the battery.
10A each for the cigarette lighters,
Less than 10 for all the USB chargers.
Less than 30A total loads.

Without more info I can't say for sure, but my guess is this would be a good layout for your needs.

1693442490548.png

The external fuse should be near the battery.

This layout has everything fused so short circuits would not cause a fire.

That would work but...

* I don't know what wattage you have for the solar panel, but 8AWG is probably overkill for the wiring to the charge controller.

Without more info I can't say for sure, but my guess is this would be a good layout for your needs.

View attachment 165340

I already have the 8awg and the 12 awg for lighters and chargers. Is there a problem with using the wire I already have? I could run an inline 30 fuse close to the battery. I may just run a 30 inline for the charge controller also instead of put it in the little fuse box with very small screws for them. It is 4 25 watt cheap harbor freight panels so 100watt all put together into one sae. I could be wrong on the gauge coming from the SCC it may be 10 I didn't take it out of the packaging today.

And ya a good idea to fuse the other 2 SCC and battery cable, but the main thing that I was wondering is that you don't see any reason to do 2 more wires for the scc? This won't make any problems with power coming back in to the lighters and chargers? It shouldn't blow any of those fuses?

Thanks for the help!

That would work but...

View attachment 165340

Also for the 30 amps would an auto reset circuit breaker be fine instead of an inline fuse holder?

I already have the 8awg and the 12 awg for lighters and chargers. Is there a problem with using the wire I already have?
No
I could run an inline 30 fuse close to the battery.
That is the most important fuse of the whole system.
I may just run a 30 inline for the charge controller also instead of put it in the little fuse box with very small screws for them. It is 4 25 watt cheap harbor freight panels so 100watt all put together into one sae.
100W will produce less than 10A to the battery. Make that fuse a 15 or 20 and put it wherever the wires connect into the rest of the system, not at the charge controller.
And ya a good idea to fuse the other 2 SCC and battery cable, but the main thing that I was wondering is that you don't see any reason to do 2 more wires for the scc? This won't make any problems with power coming back in to the lighters and chargers? It shouldn't blow any of those fuses?
No. It is not a problem.
Also for the 30 amps would an auto reset circuit breaker be fine instead of an inline fuse holder?
It should be fine.

No

That is the most important fuse of the whole system.

100W will produce less than 10A to the battery. Make that fuse a 15 or 20 and put it wherever the wires connect into the rest of the system, not at the charge controller.

No. It is not a problem.

It should be fine.
Really appreciate the help, glad I came on and got the advice about the fuse/breaker!

Back