diy solar

diy solar

Mounting/moving heavy wall-mounted batteries

This is a detached garage, no plans for insulation. :) It was a lot nicer working in the attic without it. :)

And I would leave the bolt installed.

If you remove it you’re sure to need it again.

I keep the chain hoist I linked in post #2 in place just for good luck 😎.

This is a detached garage, no plans for insulation. :) It was a lot nicer working in the attic without it. :)

I just changed out a 17 year old boiler and used the same eye hole that I used when installing it.

When you go back into the attic to add insulation you can remove the bolt and patch the hole! ;)
This is a detached garage, no plans for insulation. :) It was a lot nicer working in the atti

Exactly my plan... The bolts can stay, the hoist will go in the box - may even be useful for other heavy lifting.

My next "fun" challenge is going to be to take the 3 old/broken batteries I took off the wall to a dump - first problem - how do you get them on the bed of a pickup truck... Might construct something that lets me use that hoist to lift it up.

This is a detached garage, no plans for insulation. :) It was a lot nicer working in the atti

Exactly my plan... The bolts can stay, the hoist will go in the box - may even be useful for other heavy lifting.

My next "fun" challenge is going to be to take the 3 old/broken batteries I took off the wall to a dump - first problem - how do you get them on the bed of a pickup truck... Might construct something that lets me use that hoist to lift it up.

Some sort of DIY gantry or lumber tripod should work with the chain hoist.

I have a deer lift like shown in the link below that goes into a 2 inch receiver that works well for getting stuff in the truck.

Last edited:

Use pieces of pipe under the batteries that are laying flat and push/pull up a ramp.

I went out to West Virginia a short time ago to purchase a gasification wood boiler. His loader couldn't lift it, he used a forklift from work when he installed it. He was retired now so no forklift.

A ramp, 6 pieces of rod I found laying around his shop and a come along and just winched it right up into the bed of the truck. Easy.

How do you think they built the pyramids?

Use pieces of pipe under the batteries that are laying flat and push/pull up a ramp.
That's a good idea, also, I have 1-ton ratchet straps that could use for this, just need a ramp of sorts.

That's a good idea, also, I have 1-ton ratchet straps that could use for this, just need a ramp of sorts.
Things move pretty easy on rollers. He had a 2x10 plank but we had to lay some cement blocks under it to hold the weight as it moved up.

Once we had it in the bed, we just layed short pieces of board down and one guy could push while the other moved the rollers back to the front.

Back