diy solar

diy solar

[Solved] MPP Solar/Voltronic display "bricked"

brainwashed

I have a PIP6048 (removable display) and was going back and forth with the support to get them to fix some severe issues. They sent me an upgrade folder and I promptly proceeded to follow the instructions. The inverter then went offline and came back with warning 32 (no communication with the display unit). I used a micro-USB cable since that port is basically the same as the RS232 port (I assume). I have since tried several cables, the update program sometimes proceeds a few percent, sometimes does not proceed at all, sometimes complains that the device is not ready for update.
I am waiting for an RS232 USB adapter but I will try to make my own in the meantime, perhaps the USB port is unreliable for updates.
In the meantime, did anyone else run into this issue with similar inverters and got it fixed somehow?

1705964130824.png

1705964154524.png

1705964165769.png

1705964050829.png

Last edited:
I’ve gotten the error 32 on my eg4 6500 (same as lv6548). Here’s what I had to do.

Some people found they had to cool the display module before the update would work, there is a voltage regulator in there that gets very hot.

Found out what the problem was. I used WatchPower (the serial setting/logging utility) before to test the connection and then I closed it. But it wasn't actually closed and it was running hidden in the system tray area. I assume it tried periodically to connect over the same serial-usb connection as the flashing software, interrupting it. Killed the software, ran the flash utility, got interrupted around 50%, restarted it and then it worked. Took around 10-15 minutes to flash.

Found out what the problem was. I used WatchPower (the serial setting/logging utility) before to test the connection and then I closed it. But it wasn't actually closed and it was running hidden in the system tray area. I assume it tried periodically to connect over the same serial-usb connection as the flashing software, interrupting it. Killed the software, ran the flash utility, got interrupted around 50%, restarted it and then it worked. Took around 10-15 minutes to flash.
That sounds familiar. Glad you figured it out!

Back