diy solar

diy solar

Sonny Boy vs 18 k

mudman455

I purchased a used solar system which was AC couple to the grid with 2 sonny boy string inverters I would like to add Battery storage. To do so I will need 2 Sonny Island inverters and batteries around 13500 dollars I plan to export to the grid. My Question is do I go with what I have the SMA system or purchase a 18 K with 2 Batteries for the same money. I have about 150-foot run from PV array to inverter Thanks in advance for your opinions

@Hedges is our resident guru for sunny boy/sunny Island.
And if you are referring to the EG4 18kpv? There are several members using them. So a search in the forum, should provide you with a lot of information on its features. And how they are using them.
If you are referring to something else, we would need more information about it.

Thanks Tim!

Which model Sunny Boys?

Sunny Island with some size of battery will provide backup during grid failure. Could be 100 Ah 48V of lead-acid, 50 Ah of lithium, or larger. I've only used lead-acid. Other members have used lithium either open-loop or closed loop with a BMS like REC. The approved batteries in SMA's list include BYD, about 2x the price of cheap server racks, and should be of good quality.

What makes sense for you depends on your planned usage, desired operating mode (e.g. peak shaving), and what kind of loads you have to power.

Moving PV string to an EG4 or SolArk inverter is another option.

I see eBay listings for 2x Sunny Island wired in box starting at $4000.
Battery prices cover a wide range.
Maybe the discounts on Sunny Island will make it more attractive.

If your system is not yet installed, that reduces the effort to go with a different brand if desired. I of course like SMA for it's quality and power.

diy solar

diy solar
Back